Salmon Fishing Help

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salmon Fishing Help

Shad

Salmon Fishing Help

Hey everyone! Need some help... My father is turning 60 this year and my brother and I want to take him on a memorable trip up north. It is a secret to him right now, and will remain that way as long as possible. My questions are below, please help if you can, any information is good information… We are possibly looking at flying to Washington State, it seems there are more species of salmon to catch over on the West Coast, plus the East Coast is highly regulated on its salmon from what I have heard… We did attempt to go on a salmon fishing excursion once while on an Alaskan cruise about 18 years ago, with no luck.

What would be your recommendation on state to travel to salmon fish?
    What is the best time of year to go?
    What kind of rod/reel/tackle do you recommend?
    Do you know of any outfitters or guides that you recommend?
    Any additional info on salmon fishing would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Gator Gar
    If you do washington you will want a guide for sure unless you guys are into combat fishing. I would look for a boat out of ilwaco or west port for fishing in the salt. If you want to river fish let me know and i can get you info for a guide that was our friend up there and he can put you on salmon or steelhead. If you think about alsaka go in julybto the keni for sockeye and you can go out in the salt for halibut.

Long Nose Gar
    I went on a charter out of a small town west of Seattle. We went about 20 miles off shore and almost limited out. The fish more than paid for the trip. I'll see if I can find the company info.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzline View Post
    If you do washington you will want a guide for sure unless you guys are into combat fishing. I would look for a boat out of ilwaco or west port for fishing in the salt. If you want to river fish let me know and i can get you info for a guide that was our friend up there and he can put you on salmon or steelhead. If you think about alsaka go in julybto the keni for sockeye and you can go out in the salt for halibut.
    X2 on West Port...don't know what the best month is though...rough water usually(can/will beat you up) but the place to be for kings.
    Fished Nootka Sound in BC Canada (2nd week in July) and caught lots of kings there...If you consider this area I'd find out who would take you off shore. On a decent day when you can get out the fish are thick.

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by archertoo View Post
    X2 on West Port...don't know what the best month is though...rough water usually(can/will beat you up) but the place to be for kings.
    Fished Nootka Sound in BC Canada (2nd week in July) and caught lots of kings there...If you consider this area I'd find out who would take you off shore. On a decent day when you can get out the fish are thick.
    X2 on the rough water. I have been out of west port with 3 foot rollers and 30 foot rollers. Ilwaco is the same. Gets nasty going over the Columbia river bar. Some of the roughest water in the nation. July an August are usually the best for the salt. If you go in the summer you can get summer run steelhead which are a blast to catch. Also depending on the runs you can get into summer run kings and have a go at some white kings ( very hard to come by but the best eating). They are up on the skykomish.

How many guys would be going? My buddy had a boat for runnin in the salt and him and I figured out the silvers in the straight of Juan de fuca. 40-50 fish a day between 6-20 pounds. It's a blast but the water can get pretty gnarly out there too

Shad
    Thanks for all the helpful posts!
    d
    It will just be my brother, my dad, and myself going. We will probably fly out of Atlanta and land in Seattle. My grandparents have a house on Whidbey Island, on the South West side, facing the Puget Sound... We are not for going out on nasty water, I really don't like much over 5ft swells... I would love to get him on a river, but if the fishing is that much better in the salt... I don't know, keep the help coming. Send me any your guides info if you don't mind blitsline and if you can remember riverocket!

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    d
    It will just be my brother, my dad, and myself going. We will probably fly out of Atlanta and land in Seattle. My grandparents have a house on Whidbey Island, on the South West side, facing the Puget Sound... We are not for going out on nasty water, I really don't like much over 5ft swells... I would love to get him on a river, but if the fishing is that much better in the salt... I don't know, keep the help coming. Send me any your guides info if you don't mind blitsline and if you can remember riverocket!
    Will do. The fishing in the river can be just as good as the salt or better just depends on the time of year you go. Puget sound is ok for fishing in but if your going to hire a guide I would go to west port for salt fishing. They also run tuna charters out there too super fun but a long day on the boat.

As far as the river fishing guide goes he will supply everything for you. All you have to do is show up. What time of year are you thinking about going?

Shad
    We don't really know when to go or when the best time is... I was thinking around the fall, maybe late August or something though. It's all about puting our father on some fish and lifetime memories though! He raised us when he could in the outdoors (camping, fishing, hiking, ect) and my brother and I think this would a wonderful birthday present... We always try to manage to get together to go fly fishing in northern georgia in the begining/middle of fall, so this trip will prolly replace it. We may tell him we are headed to GA, and miseriously end up at the airport

Redfish
    Come to Michigan in mid/late august or early september. Can get on a charter boat or fish the rivers for spawning fish on thier beds. Easy to do. Charters are all over. Have King, Coho salmon, Lake trout and Steelhead.

Me and the wife have been going with this guy for years it is a awesome trip the guy is the best fishing guide I have every fish with we have become good friends.lot of Kings,Coho,you guys will love it.
    http://niagaracharter.com/

Shad
    Would love more info on Michigan and NY, never been there. Right now my brother and I are still leaning towards Washington, since we went there every other year to see the grandparents, but from the sounds of ncbowfish and aquatic-archer, there may be some places left here on the east coast... I know a couple of my friends went up north here on the east coast toward the end of the salmon run, but it was only catch and release... May have just been where they we at or time of the year...

Redfish
    Pmed back some info hope it is helpfull. If there is anything else just let me know. I also know a couple of charter captains. Just remembered this( old age setting in early) I can get there info to you if you like.

Shad
    Please send me some of their info, esp if they have a website. That way it is easy to share with my brother!

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    d
    It will just be my brother, my dad, and myself going. We will probably fly out of Atlanta and land in Seattle. My grandparents have a house
    HTML Code:
    on Whidbey Island, on the South West side, facing the Puget Sound.
    .. We are not for going out on nasty water, I really don't like much over 5ft swells... I would love to get him on a river, but if the fishing is that much better in the salt... I don't know, keep the help coming. Send me any your guides info if you don't mind blitsline and if you can remember riverocket!
    Where bouts, we have property in Langley (water front) and timber land down above Bells Beach.
    Dad was born and raised in Langley so we have quite a bit of history.
    Also what are your Grand parents last name?

Shad
    Hey Archertoo! My grandparents live in useless bay, just across the island from Langley! I remember going to Langley as a kid, man has it grown in the past 24 years... Their last name is Koski, small world!

If your going for a memorable salmon trip go to Kenai Alaska in July, lil late on the notice I know haha if not check out Betts guide service here in Michigan, guides salmon on the pere marquette and Manistee rivers, come up mid to late september to gaurantee fish in the system. This year the run should be later and well into October.

19. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement