What size kicker to get on a HEAVY 2280.

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: What size kicker to get on a HEAVY 2280.

  1. #1

    What size kicker to get on a HEAVY 2280.

    Hey all, Im going to be converting to a kicker very very soon. Im running a Long Beach custom 2280 mod-v. She is HEAVY, she has a Suzuki 250 as main motor, has a 112 minn Kota and a total 7 deep cells, and 5 converters, plus big genny. We usually shoot 3-4 guys, plus gear. I like to shoot paddlefish in Montana every summer and I hate racking up the hours on my big motor by using it as my troller, usually around 50 hrs per trip. We usually cruise around 7-8 mph with big motor while we shoot (they are easier to shoot at faster speeds), I would really like to rig up a kicker. What HP Suzuki should I look at to get that kind of speed? Obviously I don't want to have to run the kicker WOT all night either. Im leaning towards a 25 hp EFI Suzuki, is that overkill? Would a 20 hp be sufficient? Anyone have a heavy rig like mine that could chime in on speeds they are getting with their respective kickers, and at what throttle? Im wanting to put on a Power Tran Python electric steer, will it be strong enough to turn the motor at those speed? Thanks a bunch for the help guys.
    Last edited by Carpslayer5; 11-16-2019 at 05:58 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Silver Carp
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    1,243
    a 20hp will push it plenty

    the 20hp I have on my heavy 1660 will almost get on plane.

  4. #3
    I have no idea what horsepower will be required to push that big of a tank at 8 mph, but I have never heard anyone say "I sure wish I would have gone with a smaller hp".

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Va
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsuch86 View Post
    a 20hp will push it plenty

    the 20hp I have on my heavy 1660 will almost get on plane.
    I would agree completely with this. I have a fairly heavy 2072 that I bought a kicker for last year and I went with what I got a great deal on which was an 8hp. I originally planned on getting at least a 9.9 but the deal on the 8hp was too good to pass up. I was worried it wouldn't be enough but the little 8hp pushes it just fine. I think alot of it comes from the fact that it is a "high thrust" model that is propped to be a kicker. If that suzuki is just a standard 20hp outboard it might benefit you to reprop it to get the push you need, but either way I think the 20hp will be just fine.

  7. #5
    Silver Carp
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    1,175
    take into consideration the more HP the harder the boat will be to steer, I had a 15HP on my 2080 and it was plenty fast.

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillips_211 View Post
    take into consideration the more HP the harder the boat will be to steer, I had a 15HP on my 2080 and it was plenty fast.
    Did you ever get a chance to clock your speed? Just curious for comparison.

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyb View Post
    I would agree completely with this. I have a fairly heavy 2072 that I bought a kicker for last year and I went with what I got a great deal on which was an 8hp. I originally planned on getting at least a 9.9 but the deal on the 8hp was too good to pass up. I was worried it wouldn't be enough but the little 8hp pushes it just fine. I think alot of it comes from the fact that it is a "high thrust" model that is propped to be a kicker. If that suzuki is just a standard 20hp outboard it might benefit you to reprop it to get the push you need, but either way I think the 20hp will be just fine.

    Did you ever clock your speed with the 8 hp you have on?

  10. #8
    Needle Nose Gar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    343
    When we had a 15hp kicker on our 1962 we could get 10+ when the prop wasn’t destroyed. Have shot off a 2072 that had a 15hp and got up to 8-10

  11. #9
    Silver Carp
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpslayer5 View Post
    Did you ever get a chance to clock your speed? Just curious for comparison.
    7-8mph, the boat will try and start to plane off over 8mph.

  12. #10
    Thanks for all the input fellas. Im leaning towards the 20 hp just because of better steerability and the fact that it weights 116 lbs vs. the 156 pounds of the 25 hp...

  13. #11
    The prop that comes with the Suzuki 20 hp is a 3-Blade Aluminum 9.25" Dia x 10.0" Pitch. What pitch prop would be better for pushing faster if this one doesn't do the trick?

  14. #12
    Silver Carp
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    1,243
    Just start off with what it has on there and if you find its revving high and not gaining traction, then move up to higher pitch prop.

  15. #13
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Va
    Posts
    156
    I never did. I know that when we troll for rays we go faster than I would imagine most people go when they are bowfishing fresh water fish and at that pace I kept it at about 1/2-3/4 throttle and it handled it just fine. I was no where close to "coming up on plane" like a few other guys have said they were but it goes along at a good little clip. Mine is marketed as a high thrust kicker model and has the four bladed high thrust prop which I am sure helps.

  16. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in


...advertisement

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •