Oneida Osprey Questions

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oneida Osprey Questions

Oneida Osprey Questions

I'm a NEWB as my kids would say to lever bows. I bought my Opsrey off ebay last summer, its a Long 30-50#. I love shooting the bow and have killed allot of fish with it.

I have used the videos on Vimeo that Oneida put out Along with Rambo's ( Dustin Apple ) videos on youtube. My brace height is 6-7/8 and my draw weight is 33#'s not sure of the draw length, i believe the F modules are what it comes with.

So I'm not happy with my arrow flight, I had a Quick draw mounted last year and was not able to get my arrows to fly straight. So this season I bought a Gargod riser rest and mounted it flush with the riser.

I forget where my knock is from the bottom of the shelf rest, I think I started 5/16 up and moved it according to my arrow flight.

It might be better this year but I'm still watching my arrows not enter the water straight and plane off in every direction. So I have a couple questions for you lever guys......

How do you set up your nock height ?

What weight is optimum for the fiberglass arrows ? I shoot a variety of points from Muzzy carp points to a couple new grapple points and some cheap bulk points I got from Carp Cartel.

What draw weight do you guys shoot with your Ospreys ??

I have a Chronograph, is there a speed that you guys prefer ? or help with arrow stability ?? I have never shot my Osprey through it.... Maybe I should.

How important is FORM ? Grip and follow through ?? Any tips ? I just ordered a set of grips from Mark McAllister off Face Book, for my big mitts.

If my brace height, timing ( tiller ) limbs are aligned with properly set up rest what else should I look at ?

I just ordered 5 practice arrows from Bowfishing Extreme and am determined to tune my bow so I can shoot at deep fish.

You guys are great and my only source of higher end bow fishing answers. The local Scheels guys try hard but really aren't lever bow guys.

I thank you in advance for your time !!
    Last edited by Huffranger; 05-05-2019 at 07:11 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

If u can't get it to fly right with a quick draw, you definitely got a issue besides your rest. There is a lot of factors. #1, make sure the timing is right. #2, are you shooting 3 under or split? This will determine nock height. #3 tiller set correctly on the rest. #4 make sure your getting a clean release, this will make the arrow do crazy stuff if it's not released good.

BFC's Prankster
    Shooting form can definitely do a lot, how do you draw ??? 1 over 2 under or 3 under ???? Draw off the middle of your finger tip not in the bend or crease of the finger tip....

Another key part is what are you shooting, muzzy type reel or AMS retriever. With AMS your line is pulling out of the Reel several inches to the side of the riser and can effect arrow flight, I use one of the TJE shoot thru rods with my AMS which puts the line to the side closer to arrow center for better flight IMO, with muzzy you should be pretty well centered under the arrow. Assume your shooting slides whether shooting AMS or muzzy???

Couple things to try or think about

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

I tried 3 under and it didn't seem to change much. I'm a split shooter, I'm trying to just use my fingertips. I have finger slicks also, forgot to mention that.

I shoot a mega mouth reel and am experimenting ditching slides and tying direct to the arrow.
    Last edited by Huffranger; 05-05-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Silver Carp
    Ditch the slides and make absolutely sure you have no limb lean, if you have any other modules try another set. I have never been able to get good flight out of high let off modules (F mods are 70-80% let off) try some lower let off and that will probably help.
    20190505_115223.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakfish1 View Post
    Ditch the slides and make absolutely sure you have no limb lean, if you have any other modules try another set. I have never been able to get good flight out of high let off modules (F mods are 70-80% let off) try some lower let off and that will probably help.
    20190505_115223.jpg
    Awesome info !!

Thanks for the help guys !!!

9. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement