Long range

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Long range

Silver Carp

Long range

Any of y'all have any experience shooting long range? (800+ yards) I'm looking to get in to it enough to learn the basics but not sure how much I wanna spend to try something out lol. I know I'm probably gonna be $2k+ for a halfway decent rifle and ffp optic, just curious if anyone here has any experience with a "budget friendly" long range setup. I've been looking a little and love the look aged feel of the bergara b14 hmr and it seems like it has a lot of good features that aren't normally found on

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

I shoot long range some. I have a .308 Remington 700 bdl shooting Black Hills Moly Match. My next gun will be a 6.5 Creedmore possibly a Bergara or another Remington. I don’t have time to reload so buying Match grad3 ammo seems like the right thing to do. Maybe someday I will get into reloading but for now the match grade ammo works for me

Silver Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by bowmandan View Post
    I shoot long range some. I have a .308 Remington 700 bdl shooting Black Hills Moly Match. My next gun will be a 6.5 Creedmore possibly a Bergara or another Remington. I don’t have time to reload so buying Match grad3 ammo seems like the right thing to do. Maybe someday I will get into reloading but for now the match grade ammo works for me
    I'm looking at going 6.5, since my hope is to eventually be able to shoot past 1k the less bullet drop that far seems like itd be a huge advantage. What kind of optics do you run?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Kayak,

I do have some experience at long range, though mostly at 600 yards. I have been shooting F Class for the last 10 years and was the match director for our club for the last 4. I shoot F-TR, which means I have to use a 223 or 308 and shoot off a bipod instead of a front rest. I just made high master last year at mid-range (300-600) which means I maintained a 98% average for 120 shots. Our 10 ring is 6" diameter at 600 (which is the distance I was shooting). I have shot several 1,000 yard matches as well, but they are harder to find.

The first question I would ask, is what are you wanting to shoot at 800+ yards. Ringing a steel gong, hunting, or competing in F-Class, benchrest, or PRS. All of these would take considerably different set-ups to be successful. For instance, cartridges. For hunting, you need to make sure you have enough power, proper bullet, and accuracy to kill game. Gongs don't take much power or proper bullet to kill. Same with optics. The only one listed above that I would recommend a first focal plane scope for is PRS. Everything else, will either be at known distance or you will have time to use a laser rangefinder to get the range and make the correction with your target turrets. That being said, I would suggest putting as much or more emphasis (and $$$) into the optics as the rifle. You can't hit what you can't see and you can't hit if your scope doesn't make accurate adjustments. I, as well as many other shooters I know, have had very good luck with the Sightron SIII line of scopes. My, and my wife's, match rifles all wear Nightforces now and you can't go wrong with any of their scopes. I don't recall having any experience with the Bergara, but I have seen several shooters using the Ruger Precisions with pretty good luck.

Another big factor, that Bowmandan touched on, is reloading. If you do, that opens more options to cartridge choices. If you don't, you need to stick to a cartridge that has a good selection of factory ammo available for the task you want to pursue.

Give me more detail and I will try to give more precise opinions. Hope this gets you started though.

Keith

I have shot my savage ftr 308 out to 1300yrds I think I have $1800 in my set up everybody says 6.5 this and 6.5 that but a buddy of mine shoots a 6.5 and it’s hard as hell to see it out past 600yrds

Silver Carp
    Okshooter, thanks for the info, my main intent is to learn and understand the concept of accurately judging range, dialing and or holding over, and sending an accurate shot on a fairly consistent basis. I know at this point I'll more than likely have more money tied up in glass than the rifle itll sit on and it wont be the first time I've done that (my deer rifle is a $300 marlin 270 with $400 worth of glass on top lol.) More than likely I'll be shooting at steel plates on farmland if I can find someone that will let me shoot, but part of it would be just in case I ever get the opportunity to take a poke at coyotes at longer ranges (lots of big dairy farms around me and no one likes coyotes and not many people hunt them around me). It seems like 6.5 is a very readily available factory match load option, since I dont have any reloading equipment (yet) I'm leaning towards it.

BFC's Prankster
    Personally I like .300 win mag, https://bow.fishingcountry.com/forum...ith-a-question my son has this setup in a .300 win mag and is an absolute shooter. We have a range here where can shoot to 600 yds open range time and routinely shoot NRA 600yd. Lass shoots, we also have 1,000 yd range and host east coast 1,000 yd shoots on limited practice or competition days only, my son has shot his Falkor out to 1,000 yds and was “on paper” and basically minute of angle within 10”-12” at 1,000 yds with first shots. It’s not a class legal gun but was able to shoot at end of a practice day and was pleasantly surprised how easy was to be on at 1,000 yds. But good glass and FFP is a must, we have had others shoot his gun and break 6” balloons at 600yds with first shot, once we told them where to hold. He normally doesn’t “dope” the scope or adjust turrets but just use hold over built in the scope for the yardage. He has since bought a Savage single shot .338 lapua, I love shooting his gun, he hunts with the Falkor and took deer at 50yds to over 300yds..... so basically a multi purpose long range gun

You mentioned coyote hunting, out to 800yds or so .243 flat out smokes, my son has shot many ground hogs with a savage .243, 3x9 scope $400 pkg gun out to 450yds, shooting 55gr, sighted in 1.5”-2” high at 100yds puts easy center mass hold out to 300yds, but for true long range would set up as close to dead zero at 100yds...
    Last edited by garpwacker; 03-16-2019 at 12:13 AM.

BFC's Prankster
    Personally I like MOA vs MRAD,

MOA is inches, if have stadia lines in the scope and are 1 MOA spaces, at 100 yds those spaces are 1”. With FFAp the gap stays consistent at all ranges. Just the gap is multiplied by yardage, 1”-100,2”-200,3”-300 ......10”-1,000 yds etc....
    That is keeping it simple an MOA is actually 1.047” so at extreme long tang will begin to see an error in calculation.

MRAD- is metric or 1/10 of meter, or 3.6” per hash mark in scope at 100yds, 7.2” -200yds, 10.8” -300yds, 36” - 1,000 yds, which also 3.6” is keeping easy actually a fraction of 3.6”

To me it’s easier to calculate in inches than milrads....

https://bestgunscope.com/mrad-vs-moa/

That link explains a lot

I have also ranged targets with Parralex adjustment to focus, then look at range on focus knob, make calculation and shoot....

Silver Carp
    Garp, I have a buddy that shoots some really long stuff (1500+) and he swears by milrad and I understand the concept. I found a steal on a new vortex viper pst gen2 5-25x50 mrad, so I'm gonna try the milrad first and if it doesnt click I'll probably sell it and go moa.

BFC's Prankster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayakfish1 View Post
    Garp, I have a buddy that shoots some really long stuff (1500+) and he swears by milrad and I understand the concept. I found a steal on a new vortex viper pst gen2 5-25x50 mrad, so I'm gonna try the milrad first and if it doesnt click I'll probably sell it and go moa.
    Gotcha, just to me it’s easier to relate or compute mentally to even inches....

We first shot 500 yds with sons .300 on steel and was 42” drop, so did (8) hash mark holdover and “clang”

When he’s shot 1,000 was supposed to be I think 224” and did a (22)hash mark hold over and was there...

We did do a couple things when mounted the scope on his gun, had it on a heavy table in a mag well gun vise, leveled the gun, did it in the shop and hung a heavy weight with bright orange muzzy line and set the scope vertical on the plumb line, once got sighted in at 100, shot “the box” ran adjustment 20 clicks up shot, 20 clicks right shot, 20 clicks back down shot, 20 clicks back left to zero and back on zero to verify and shot a perfect 4 corners, then a series of 10 clicks up to check tracking vertically and not angling right or left, was shooting off concrete bench with bipod and rear bag.

Kayak , hopefully might get to meet up sometime, you aren’t to far away and we plan on fishing the CBBT this year again, but am about 10 miles from gun club and range. We can shoot out to 600 pretty much anytime and I’m a member and can take guests....
    Last edited by garpwacker; 03-16-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Silver Carp
    That sounds good, I've found a range about 2.5 hours away that has steel out to 1000 yards, just gotta decide if I wanna pay $400 a year and drive 5 hours round trip to shoot there. Got a couple places around that I can get up to 500ish locally, really hoping to find somewhere that someone will let me shoot farther or even pay a little to shoot closer to home.

BFC's Prankster
    For an economical FFP scope, I put this one on my AR .223/5.56 and really good glass for the price
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...16x44-moa.html

Plan on getting the 6-24 version for my 6.5 Creedmoor .....

Silver Carp
    I thought about one of those or I've heard pretty good things about athlon optics, but I get an absolute steal on the viper pst and should have it in hand Monday. Now I gotta pick up a rifle to put it on lol.

Kayak,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. I had some computer issues, then forgot. While I don't think the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge for any of the disciplines, I think it is a great starter cartridge, especially for those that don't reload. Garpwacker is right about the 243, but what he didn't mention is they are barrel burners. Meaning, the accurate life of the barrel is pretty short. To really get good at anything, and particularly long range shooting, practice makes perfect. The 6.5 has better barrel life and the 308 is much better. I would consider the accurate life of a 243 about 600 to 800 rounds, 6.5 Creedmoor about 2,000 to 3,000 and a 308 3,000 to 5,000. Those seem like big numbers, but consider if you go shooting once a month and shoot 50 rounds each time. The 243 lasts 1 year, the 6.5 3 years, and the 308 7 years.

While I don't have any personal experience with the scope you found, I have heard a lot of good things about Vortex optics. I understand this particular model is FFP. I personally don't care for them because I like my reticle to stay fine at any power to have a better aiming point. Also, as I said before, I would get a laser rangefinder for measuring distance instead of trying to use the reticle for ranging. While it sounds simple, actually doing it can be more difficult. I know military snipers are pretty good at it, but, when they aren't deployed, the are on the range every day maintaining their skills. If you know the target size (steel plate) you can get pretty good fairly quickly, but when you start with unknown targets (coyotes don't all come the same size) it gets way more difficult to get accurate. You should concentrate on the shot first then once you've mastered that, then start trying to learn ranging if you want to. Don't try to learn too many tasks all at once or you might get frustrated because you, if you miss, you won't know which thing you did wrong. I like to dial my scope for two reasons. The glass is going to be it's best the closer to center you stay. Second, I like as simple a reticle as possible so I can see the target more clearly. The reason I prefer MOA over MRAD is precision. Generally, scopes either come with 1/8 or 1/4 MOA clicks or .05 or .1 MRAD clicks. 1/4 MOA is 1/4" at 100 yards and 2.5" at 1,000 yards. .1 MRAD is .36 at 100 and 3.6 at 1,000 yards. That extra inch doesn't sound like much, but everything is cumulative. Most everyone I know in target disciplines use 1/8 MOA to get dialed as close to perfect as possible.

Good luck.

Silver Carp
    Thanks for the info okshooter.

I have a range finder so i wont plan on ranging with my reticle, it's just a skill I'd like to eventually learn.
    I have several vortex optics on various rifles and have nothing but great experience with all of them so I wasnt to worried about picking it up, especially since the price I found it for I can get my money back easily.
    Gonna try to pick up a rifle in the next week or so and start figuring what loads I wanna shoot.

I'd get as many factory loads as you can find with the highest ballistic coefficients and try them all, but not until you have at least 100 rounds down the tube to break it in. Then I would shoot groups with all loads at from at least 200 to 300 yards. You might even want to mix them up and shoot one round from this box, one from that, etc. so that the group for a particular load is not better or worse because of how dirty or hot the barrel was. I'd look for loads that used Berger or Hornady ELD bullets. Good luck.

Silver Carp
    I had a little time to kill this weekend so I decided to set my scope up on an ar and go out on my neighbors farm and glass some trees with it to see how clear it really is. Mount was just finger tight to keep it from falling off the gun but it was good enough to look thru. I'm fairly impressed with it, crystal clear out to 800 (the farthest I could see) and very bright crisp colors.
    20190322_152429.jpg
    Plus the goats seemed to really like it lol

Silver Carp
    Picked up my rifle last night, gonna get some rounds thru it this weekend and see how it shoots.
    20190403_212659.jpg

BFC's Prankster
    Picked up my rifle last night, gonna get some rounds thru it this weekend and see how it shoots.
    20190403_212659.jpg
    Whatcha get ???? What caliber ????

Silver Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by garpwacker View Post
    Whatcha get ???? What caliber ????
    Bergara b14 hmr, 6.5 creedmoor, Kelbly precision rings, vortex viper pst gen2 5-25×50, and no idea on the bipod lol.
    It's basically a clone of a Remington action with an adjustable trigger (sitting at 2.5lb fron the factory and very crisp) and the McMillan style stock has an aluminum chassis molded in to it to stiffen everything up really nice, just messing around with it I absolutely love the way it feels.

BFC's Prankster
    Bergara b14 hmr, 6.5 creedmoor, Kelbly precision rings, vortex viper pst gen2 5-25×50, and no idea on the bipod lol.
    It's basically a clone of a Remington action with an adjustable trigger (sitting at 2.5lb fron the factory and very crisp) and the McMillan style stock has an aluminum chassis molded in to it to stiffen everything up really nice, just messing around with it I absolutely love the way it feels.
    I’m loving what your describing big time....bet it’s a tackdriver

Silver Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by garpwacker View Post
    I’m loving what your describing big time....bet it’s a tackdriver
    I picked up a little cheap federal ammo to shoot this weekend, next week (after payday lol) I'm gonna get several different match loads for it and start looking to see what it likes best.

BFC's Prankster
    I want one of those in 450 bushmaster where DE passed that deer legal last year.....

Silver Carp
    20190406_101020.jpg
    It shoots..... 5 rounds at 100 yards, .5" black dot, cheapest 6.5 creedmoor ammo I could find
    20190406_110858.jpg
    Once I find out what it likes as far as match loads go it should really sart shooting good.

Silver Carp
    In case anyone happens to be browsing this anymore.

Finally found a spot to stretch my creedmoor out.
    I had access to a chronograph back in the summer so I had a rough idea of my fps, plugged that in to a free ballistic app and had 2nd round hits at 320 yards (3" plate) 550 (6" plate) 900 (8" plate) and a first round hit at 963 (10" plate). Hits were consistent (almost boring) at 300-550 on anything larger than the 3" plates, only thing I couldnt connect on was a 3" plate at 963 with a shifting 7ish mph wind.
    The long range bug has bitten me just about as bad as the first time I got bit my the bowfishing bug lol.

20191207_115331.jpg

29. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement