Remote control trolling motors

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remote control trolling motors

Pond Scum

Remote control trolling motors

Does anyone use one on their boat? In the market for a new motor and exploring my options.
    Ralph

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Silver Carp
    My dad has always had a remote controlled motor on his boat, I personally don't care for them bowfishing, always seems like there's a lag between pressing a button and anything happen.

Pond Scum
    Good to know thanks
    Ralph

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Silver Carp
    I've never had one because I can't justify the cost. I have read about them and it seems like they are designed more to be used with fish finders where you can plot a coarse you want to follow and it follows a track that is plotted. I don't think they are really suited to stop and go fishing like bowfishing. I could be wrong though as I've never had one.

Silver Carp
    If I fished somewhere where I wasn't gonna be in 2' of water running in to all kinds of stuff all the time I wouldn't mind having one.

Pond Scum
    I have talked to one person who has one and he loves it. The reason I thought it might be worth considering is I see everyone making sexy sticks, joy sticks, and rigging up switches to control their motors. Would a remote control motor not be the answer to make all of them? Here would be a scenario that I was thinking would be cool. I shoot a fish I hit a button so the boat anchors it's self where I shot the fish rather then keep cruising along.
    Ralph

Long Nose Gar
    I have used all of them at one point or another and I'll never want anything besides a tiller handle. Next choice would be a sexy stick

Pond Scum
    Why is that? What are the drawbacks to remote control, and what is the advantage to a tiller? Just trying to make an informed decision.
    Thanks
    Ralph

Silver Carp
    The way I look at it is you have a set amount of energy stored in your battery, if you're using a remote troller you have to use 10-15% (just a number as I don't know exactly how much it is) of the battery power to turn and change speed. Whereas with a manually operated you're getting 100% of the batterys stored power turning the prop

Pond Scum
    Thanks for your input.
    Ralph

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayakfish1 View Post
    The way I look at it is you have a set amount of energy stored in your battery, if you're using a remote troller you have to use 10-15% (just a number as I don't know exactly how much it is) of the battery power to turn and change speed. Whereas with a manually operated you're getting 100% of the batterys stored power turning the prop
    Kayak gets it!

With my foot control turned into a joystick I noticed that I was running out of battery quickly. Like the prop was turning with enough power but when I went to steer it would just die. So from now of if I have have to get a differnet trolling motor it will either be a cable drive with a real sexy stick or a tiller.

Silver Carp
    One thing to keep in mind about a tiller is if you have to raise it up quickly you'd better be on top of it or you'll have a bent shaft. Moral of story, get a tiller with a carbon fiber shaft instead of stainless. I also advocate for the pontoon tiller type. They come with a long shaft to begin with, are usually 24v and have plenty of power.
    The one I have has worked great except for the bent shaft. It just makes it a little harder to raise in a hurry.

I would say if you like to fish slow then the remote is the way to go, but if you fish fast a lot, then I would stick to tiller. Also, on a remote you would probably want to get at least 2 remotes and they cost $150.

Pond Scum
    I'm assuming because of what Kayakfish1 said the slow reaction time of the remote and hitting things is why you want to go slow?
    I'm not afraid to spend the money if it is something I think I will like and it works as it should.
    Thanks for all of the great feedback so far.
    Ralph

A positive for a tiller is anyone can run it. People tend to get confused by foot controls, and unless you want to shell out $100 for additional remotes so others can control the motor if you are on a fish. Plus remotes can get lost in the water; just doesn't seem worth it to me.

The tiller is so quick to change directions and speed, lift when coming into shallow water or obstacles. Much easier to pick your way through pencil weeds and thick cover. Also anyone can grab it to control at any time. I can run it with my hip and draw my bow while chasing down a runner.

The remote is too slow to react and when the person with the remote shoots a fish you either wait until they are done monkeying around or take their fish off for them

Silver Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSlayer View Post
    Kayak gets it!

With my foot control turned into a joystick I noticed that I was running out of battery quickly. Like the prop was turning with enough power but when I went to steer it would just die. So from now of if I have have to get a differnet trolling motor it will either be a cable drive with a real sexy stick or a tiller.
    That's why I made my sexy stick and I'm getting a tiller motor

Gator Gar
    did you like your cable drive?

Silver Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSlayer View Post
    did you like your cable drive?
    Loved it until I forgot to take my stick off before backing under the carport, only broke one of the two cables lol

Common Carp
    Other issues I ran into when I tried remote several years back was you don’t know your direction especially in the dark, you have to look at the tiller head to know what way it’s pointed, hands on you know. Definitely slower on response. One other thing if you wear the control phob make sure you have a break away lanyard for the first time it gets caught in your string shooting..... trust me on that one. Personally I’d steer clear. Pun intended.

Pond Scum
    One of my buddies uses a minn kota tiller until he forgot to raise it up and rammed it into a dock with the big motor. Now he has a remote operated one, and hates it. Spends more time staring at that fob trying to navigate around stuff, and it "doesn't turn worth a chit". Run a tiller on my boat, everyone that fishes with me knows how to operate it, and when we are on the fish, we just keep sticking and moving. Go tiller.

Pond Scum
    Sounds like everyone here likes the tiller type. I have always had a foot peddle. Will look into a tiller.
    thanks
    Ralph

Gator Gar
    I love mine I can go back to the barrel to take a fish off and I can still drive or put 2 people up front and drive from the back it's really handy since I take a lot of new people out

Pond Scum
    Chance Everyone talks about the lag time from when you hit the button to when the motor reacts. Is that a problem for you or how do you work around it?
    Ralph

You end up fishing slower and crashing into more stuff. It is really tough to straighten out in current compared to a tiller and then you end up getting wedged into a culvert.

Mudfish
    i think this like so many other things is going to be preference/style motor you have .... all versions have pro's and cons .... i have remotes, to me the lag is very minimal, the lag has never caused me to hit anything, i tried sexy stick and it just didn't work well with my electronic pedal even tho i really liked it, our other boat was a tiller steer and it was often in the way cause the boat was so small. also a remote can be used anywhere on the boat where tiller someone has to be there. not nocking anybody's preference

Pond Scum
    mnbowfish it sounds like there is a story behind the culvert remark.
    Ralph

Pond Scum
    amsugg thanks for your feedback.
    Ralph

Silver Carp
    Just admit it amsugg, you were just so mad it took me a month to make it for you that you didn't want to use it lol

Mudfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayakfish1 View Post
    Just admit it amsugg, you were just so mad it took me a month to make it for you that you didn't want to use it lol
    negative i spent way to much time trying to make it better so i could use it before i gave up and ordered remotes ... stupid electronic pedal just didn't have enough resistance

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Chance Everyone talks about the lag time from when you hit the button to when the motor reacts. Is that a problem for you or how do you work around it?
    Ralph
    In the beginning going from a cable steer foot pedal to the remote it was noticeable but not bad I just got used to it after a while

34. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement