Bad Taxidermist

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad Taxidermist

Pond Scum

Bad Taxidermist

So I apologize for posting a completely unrelated topic but Im unsure who else to ask. Over 3 years ago I caught an 8 pound 6 oz largemouth bass out of a local pond. At age 14 I was pretty stoked and its still my largest bass to date. Not kowing about fiberglass replicas I foolishly kept the bass for a skin mount. Looking back, I should have snapped a few pics and taken measurments and released it. The only measurements I have is the weight and the length - 24". I also only have one crummy iphone 4 photo. All that said- i took it to a local taxidermist who promised to have it done in 6 - 9 months. After a year we followed up and he said he had been hurt from a ladder injury. We showed grace, he said 2 more months. 6 months pass- he says his mother has been sick and we will have the fish within 2 months. Another few months pass and we decide to take the fish to another taxidermist, but he refuses. He will not give the fish back to us but did give us the check back. He says he is going to finish the fish and put it up for sale in his shop. What can i do? I doubt he is going to really finish the fish - im not sure he even has it anymore. we have our money back but i dont care about the 100 dollar down deposit. That fish has sentimental value and Im not sure what steps to take. Being 18 im not super comfortable with knocking on his door and demanding the fish since he works out of his garage. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Gator Gar
    Bring a few friends OR better yet the sheriff's department and knock on his door and tell him to return your property. You'll probably get the truth out of him or get your fish back.

Needle Nose Gar
    Did he tell you that he was going to keep it in person or send it to you in a text or email? If he texted or emailed you that just go right to the sheriff/city pd(if in city limits) and show them that. That should solve the problem very fast. Even if it was said in person I would still contact them. Even better you could contact your local DNR officer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Pond Scum
    thanks for the feedback. to answer your question, yes, he did say he was keeping the fish over text message. I didnt really even think about getting the pd involved since it didnt seem like there was even any evidence to back my case. but definitely considering involving law enforcement at this point.

Cops can't help you this is a bad business deal take him to small claims court the judge will issue an order. It's not a guarantee but it's the cheapest thing you can do. As mentioned bring all paperwork and transcripts of any conversations, text messages or otherwise. Have a chronological story to tell starting at the beginning (dates and times) of every contact, statement and promises.

Common Carp
    I don't know how it is where you are but in NC selling mounted animals is a big no no, just out of curiosity have you ever used this taxidermist before or how did you choose him?

Pond Scum
    At the time I was 14 years old so i let my dad do the taxidermy business. He found a guy who was less than a mile from our house. We went to his shop and he seemed knowledgeable and had a good collection of animals he had worked on. We had never used any taxidermist so this guy seemed alright. I got to talking with another taxidermist just a week ago whos mounting a drake bufflehead for me. He said he had heard of the guy years ago but figured he went out of business with the lack of talk about him. I'm still undecided on what to do

Gator Gar

Keep on him to get the fish back. Tell your story on Facebook and taxidermy talk groups.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement