bowfishing tech from 30 years ago

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bowfishing tech from 30 years ago

Pond Scum

bowfishing tech from 30 years ago

Looking through my dad's old stuff, I came across a catalog with the latest/greatest from 1987.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Pond Scum
    Neat stuff, still better than I started with I had to make everything I started with, and that was 30 years ago too

Watching
    Lol, miss the 808 they made back then!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Pond Scum
    My dad had a couple bear drum reals, bohning plastic drum reels, and another metal one that was tape on like #1214 there. They all worked about the same - not well! Tied to back with dacron laid over the forearm... snap back city when I started. Nothing like today's tech with spectra line that breaks instead of stretches, and excellent little rods that keep the line untangled.

I wish I had known about arrow cabling back then. The #1208 Hell Diver IV is a cabled arrow, but I never saw this catalog as a kid. The arrows I started with were not drilled front and back, just in the back. It wasn't until much later when I found some arrows with a hole in the front as well, that I figured out how they were supposed to work. I then started making cables out of 25# test, 3 loops around with a swivel on the loop. They lasted about 20-30 shots and were awesome in comparison!

Hoopty's Special someone
    You could really reach out and touch them with that 50ft of nylon line! Maybe in another 30 years someone will have something with enough capacity to not shoot to the end of the line...

Some of us are still using that sort of ancient technology. I WISHED I had goodies like the ones listed in that catalog when I was a kid. I still shoot my first "grown-up" bow for fishing once in awhile. Bear Flare I got in 1987. Originally she came well equipped with the old drum style reel, no sights, tape on rest and those fabulous old fiberglass arrows that were only drilled in the rear. Dunno how I made it to adulthood with all my fingers. She's been restrung a few times and I've torn a few spools off the front over the years, still no sights. I finally broke down and added a captive rest for bridge shooting and to keep an arrow at the ready when I'm on the water. Of course I'm not a tournament guy, more of a bowfisherman of opportunity.

Pond Scum
    Hey SerpentHunter, welcome to BFC. Thanks for posting. Is it safe to assume you use safety slides nowadays? Are you still using the 50' of dacron the drum reels came with?

I found my dad an oneida a few years back and set it up for him. He hadn't bowfished since before I started as kid. He hasn't gone out a whole lot due to balance issues standing in boats, but he has shot some fish with it. Oneida, spinner, 200# fast flight line, epoxy rest. Set it about 38# I think, and it just shoots a bullet. Compared to what he used in the 70s, he said it is "the cat's meow". Next year I am going to force him to go bank/wade shooting during the spawn. I should probably set his bow down to about 33#, too. He buries them too deep on misses.

That side mount #1218 actually looks fairly safe for tying to back. The string would route around the shelf/riser, presumably without too much slack at full draw if the clip for the line is properly positioned.

Overall though it is so much safer today with spectra lines for spinners, or safety slides and the free flowing bottle for flat braid dacron line. I can see still using a hand wrap reel with safety slide/cable, for daytime and very low volume shooting. As I recall the dacron line on the hand wraps could get little snags on the shot if the line got too dry or was wrapped not quite perfectly.
    Last edited by glassbow202; 08-29-2017 at 07:00 PM.

My brother and I used those Helldiver aluminum arrows way back in the the early 1970's in Idaho. They worked great in deep water. Super hard tips. Arrows would bend if you hit too many rocks. I seem to remember that they were $3.50 each. 1/2 of my paper route money per month

Pond Scum
    Very cool, thanks for posting. I couldn't make out what the actual points looked like, even with that catalog in hand.

Also, I don't know what the prices were on that stuff. If there was a price index somewhere, I must have missed it.

Big Carp 1.jpg

Still using the 1212....with slides....can make really long shots too!!

Pond Scum
    very nice...what line do you use?
    If you can post some more pics of the bow from different angles that would be cool...the 1212 says Right/Left. That is an offset mount then?
    Last edited by glassbow202; 05-14-2019 at 01:56 PM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement