Bad MK boards lately?

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad MK boards lately?

Bad MK boards lately?

Anybody else having more trouble than normal from their control boards? My fishing partner and i have both recently started frying 24/36 volt MK boards at an alarming rate compared to the past few years. Anyone else noticed this? Wondering if MK had a bad batch or if this is the new norm....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

I seem to get about 70 hours out of a board. That has been the case since I built my first boat over 20 years ago whether it was 12, 24 or 36v. Unfortunately that's still better than any MG I have tried.

Gator Gar
    I have a 1 month old 112lb minn kota riptide and just fried the 2nd control board. Did you ever figure anything out?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

BFC's Prankster
    Running converters with yours that fried ?????

I get the longest life out of my boards without running converters.

When I run converters I have good AGM batteries as a buffer. I know there is a debate about whether or not you need them, so I figured I would just throw that in there since my authorized Minn Kota guy is convinced the converters are what causes board failure and feels very strongly that if you don't have the batteries you will go through them even faster. I also know if you try to run your onboard charger while running your trolling motor you will have a higher frequency of failure.

When I ran the IOTA 36V converter I replaced boards very frequently, just guessing about every 20 hours. What I think was happening was the IOTA didn't put out enough amps to keep the batteries full (I can't remember the amperage on the model I had and I will be the first to admit I don't know **** about electricity so this post probably sounds pretty ignorant) and when I would run long enough to wear down the batteries completely it would wreck the board.

Since I switched to Powermax I have been getting I'm guessing an average of about 70 hours out of each board. I just wrecked my first one for the year about 2 weeks ago because I have been finding fish in deep enough water out of the thick weeds so it's been pretty easy on it.

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by garpwacker View Post
    Running converters with yours that fried ?????
    Yes. 3 pm3-55 converters

Silver Carp
    Get a kicker problem solved

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillips_211 View Post
    Get a kicker problem solved
    I'm debating between a kicker or a fan.

Silver Carp
    I'm just now finishing up a kicker for my boat. Got a little more wiring to do and it'll be done.

Silver Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm debating between a kicker or a fan.
    Unless you fish in 6" of water all the time or in constant weeds, get a kicker

I definitely want to add a kicker to my boat, however 90% of my fishing is nosing around in pencil weeds so a troller is my best option.

Gator Gar
    The last couple of trips out, I end up running my outboard at least as far as my troller.

A kicker or a fan is definitely in my future. I'm thinking a fan with 2 more 400w hps on the fan stand would be nice.

I guess im lucky with my XI5. bought it when they first came out and my control board just went out. i need a new board no later then tuesday. any ideas how to get one to BFE california by then?

16. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement