Motor sputtering at idle

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motor sputtering at idle

Motor sputtering at idle

I'm hoping somebody can help me out before i have to send my motor off to a shop.

For some reason my motor has started sputtering and shutting off at an idle speed. It didn't do this before I changed out my plugs and my fuel filter. I have double checked to make sure that everything was correct on the plugs and filter. I can run the boat wide open and when i come off plane the motor runs fine but then after about 30 seconds the motor will start to sputter then cuts off. I have no clue on whats going on I'm thinking its either water in fuel or good ole ethanol in has jacked up my fuel jets.

I've attached a video so you can hear what its doing. Thanks for any help in advance.

https://youtu.be/fTIcBIEGM8Y

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Carbs need cleaning. mine does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by blazinarrow View Post
    Carbs need cleaning. mine does the same thing.
    I was thinking the same thing but crazy that it started doing it after i changed plugs and fuel filter. so cleaning them should i put additive into gas or have the carbs taken apart to clean?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Silver Carp
    Add a can of seafoam and just run it in the yard at half throttle or so for awhile, it worked for me when my carbs needed cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by rjthehunter View Post
    Add a can of seafoam and just run it in the yard at half throttle or so for awhile, it worked for me when my carbs needed cleaning
    I added some Star-Tron to it to see if that helps out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebster View Post
    I was thinking the same thing but crazy that it started doing it after i changed plugs and fuel filter. so cleaning them should i put additive into gas or have the carbs taken apart to clean?
    Exactly as mine did. something must have worked it's way into one of your carbs. I need to rebuild mine. It was never run very much and 4 strokes are kinda picky that way.

I just realized for the discription title i put shuttering and not sputtering!!!! anybody know how to edit that?

Silver Carp
    I added some Star-Tron to it to see if that helps out.
    Gotta run it a lot!

BFC's Prankster
    I just realized for the discription title i put shuttering and not sputtering!!!! anybody know how to edit that?
    I do and fixed it with my superpowers .....lol

Quote Originally Posted by garpwacker View Post
    I do and fixed it with my superpowers .....lol
    Your the MAN Garpwacker!!!!!!! Thanks

So I took apart all three carbs and cleaned them well. Put everything back together and still having same issue. Not sure what to do now. Any other suggestions??

Clown Fish
    Since it was fine before you changed the filter I would inspect your fuel line near the filter connections very closely I am assuming this is a in line filter you could have a very small crack. At full throttle it sucks it closed at idle it does not letting air in.

Quote Originally Posted by cur View Post
    Since it was fine before you changed the filter I would inspect your fuel line near the filter connections very closely I am assuming this is a in line filter you could have a very small crack. At full throttle it sucks it closed at idle it does not letting air in.
    YUP.or else its the pilot jet.

After lots of hours/days trying to fix my idle problem, it's finally been resolved. There is a small idle screw on all three carbs that I took out and cleaned with carb cleaner and believe it or not that fix my problem. For some reason that is the only screw that I didn't take out when taking apart the carbs!!!!! So if anybody is having any type of idle problem I would recommend taking that screw out and spraying some carb cleaner in it. A 4hr carb job could have been fixed in about 10min. I also did the same to my brother in-laws motor and it also fixed his idle issue. Hope this helps out anybody that may have this same issue. Thanks to everyone that gave recommendations.

Silver Carp
    Not really seeing how cleaning an idle screw could fix your problem, the motor must have been idled down too low and when you put it back in you turned it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillips_211 View Post
    Not really seeing how cleaning an idle screw could fix your problem, the motor must have been idled down too low and when you put it back in you turned it up.
    I'm no mechanic so im not 100% sure. The only thing I can figure is that if the idle jet had dirt or other crap in it, it messed it up. The idle screw was put back in the exact same as when i took it out.

Silver Carp
    Oh ok so your screw goes inside the carb, I was thinking it was on the outside that set the idle on all the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillips_211 View Post
    Oh ok so your screw goes inside the carb, I was thinking it was on the outside that set the idle on all the carbs.
    Yes its your idle screw that goes into carb.

21. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement