Running trolling motor off generator

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running trolling motor off generator

Running trolling motor off generator

I'm looking at getting a Minn Kota terrova 112, I don't really want to add all the excess battery weight onto my boat I was wondering if there is anyway to run it off the generator. I typically run from sun down to sun up so I also don't want to deal with dead batteries. Any help is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

never done it but bet it has been done the right gen. and converter probably have to be matched up some one will chime in.

The new powermaxx bowfishing converters will allow you to run straight off the genny with no batteries.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Awesome that's exactly what I want to do. Do you have any idea if 2-2000w champions paralleled together could handle that and 6-400w hps lights?

Gator Gar
    Definitely not. If memory serves a 101 draws like 1300watts running peak. You'd need a third champion just for that troller. Your lights will be pulling close to 2500watts as is.

Dang, I guess I'll have to look into a different generator setup.

Gator Gar
    There is a table posted in the generator section showing with different troller pull.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    Definitely not. If memory serves a 101 draws like 1300watts running peak. You'd need a third champion just for that troller. Your lights will be pulling close to 2500watts as is.
    3 powermax's(36 volt troller) is actually going to pull over 2000 watts. this is just my opinion but if this is the route you want to go id actually just buy led's. Hps are great and all i have them.

But putting power to your troller is more important. And Imo id take the 80 watt seelights with quite over a loud generator. I think you will be happier with that. I have shot over both. My buddy shoots with 1 honda 2000 and 6 - 80 watt seelightes

Im setup with 3 convertors and 4 -400 watt hps and i need 2 - champion 3500 watts to everything.

In my experience id stick with leds if i was going to run convertors.... Unless you want to buy 2 - 3000 watt hondas or those 3100 champions i guess.

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by buck25 View Post
    3 powermax's(36 volt troller) is actually going to pull over 2000watts.
    I was talking about the trolling motor itself, not inverters. But yes that is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    I was talking about the trolling motor itself, not inverters. But yes that is correct.
    gotcha. So essentially in all of the hocus pocus of ac-dc generator - converter - battery - troller you are just losing a lot of power? Thats why you need a power plant on your boat to run a 36 volt troller and hps lights.

Pond Scum
    I run a terrova 112 on my boat, I have 3 power max pm3-55's and 10 150w hps lights w/caps all powered by a generac 5500 watt generator.

^thats a HUGE generator..

How hard do u run your troller with those convertors? How long do you bowfish? And how often?
    Reason I ask is because I'm wondering if the boards hold up better on the newer trollers.

Is it possible to hook up the trolling motor batteries to the boats charging system. When the trolling motor batteries get low, then start the boat motor to recharge them.

16. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement