1977 johnson 55 hp starter problems

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1977 johnson 55 hp starter problems

1977 johnson 55 hp starter problems

I've got a Johnson 55 hp that I've been working on for a while now and I cant seem to figure it out, the starter will engage and turn but it doesn't turn fast at all, it barely spins the flywheel at all and I've already replaced the battery leads and the lead from the solenoid to the starter and still no different, I've tried 3 different good batteries, tried bypassing the solenoid and it still wont spin any faster. the engine isn't in a bind or locked up either. I need some suggestions before I go crazy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Clown Fish
    Have you tried it with jumper cables strait to starter? Or tried starter while off the motor?

No I haven't tried straight to the starter or off the motor, where do I ground the negative cable on the starter? Just clamp it onto the housing or the bolt tab?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Clown Fish
    Ground to bracket . You may try pulling the plugs out to make sure the cylinders are not loading up

Okay thanks, ill try it when I get home, I've tried it with the plugs out and its no different. Could the brushes on the starter be dirty or carbon build up be weakening the connection causing it to be slow?

figured it out!! the tab that the ground was connected to was jb welded and painted over so the current wasn't getting a good ground! moved it to a different tab and she spun right up!

Clown Fish
    glad you figured it out good luck

10. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement