Gar...

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gar...

Gar...

I shot this last summer and something seemed different to me then others for my area so I kept the head. I can't say I have ever saw one but curious if this is a gator gar?Screenshot_2015-02-25-18-04-43.jpgScreenshot_2015-02-25-18-04-49.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Looks like it to me...but I'm wrong a lot lol

Looks like a short nose or spot to me

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Needle Nose Gar
    I could be wrong but I'm going to have to agree with trash man. My guess would be spot. Most of the gator gar here have more girth than that one does. It could just look that way though because it is just the skull. I'm sure one of the pros will chime in with the right answer

Is there two rows of teeth on the upper jaw??

Long Nose Gar
    Looks like a spotted or big short nose. GG will have a very noticeable double row of upper teeth, which that one does not appear to have.

Hammerhead
    GG has double rows of teeth... This one looks like a dorkfish shortnose

Here's GG teeth

Last edited by Deer_Predator; 02-26-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Yes there are 2 rows of teeth. One row is.just small

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by ncrick View Post
    Yes there are 2 rows of teeth. One row is.just small
    Well.. there's your answer

Needle Nose Gar
    Looks like a short nose to me

Long Nose Gar
    Hybrid possibly?

Watching
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
    Hybrid possibly?
    What I was thinking.

Mudfish
    What state did you shoot it in

Ky.
    I read somewhere a while back they had turned some loose here. If that's true, idk

Hammerhead
    Can they be taken in KY?

Watching
    Quote Originally Posted by ncrick View Post
    Ky.
    I read somewhere a while back they had turned some loose here. If that's true, idk
    Yes I read they release some to help with Asian carp.
    Not sure you are a allow to take them.

Can't take them here in tn they did release some several years ago and they are on the protected list I have only ever seen two they are VERY scarce

well if.it is I couldnt tell any difference before it was shot, and wouldnt have ever thought about shooting a gator gar here, let alone a protected one

Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Predator View Post
    Can they be taken in KY?
    Nope...they can not be. But they have been seen up as far as Louisville.... and they are around 2-3 foot long ... they were released several years ago in western KY to re-introduce them and try to help with the asian carp.

Bighead Carp
    Our Indiana rule book says nothing about not taking GG or even that they exist. We fish the Ohio river under Indiana laws and I'm betting an arrow caint tell the difference if it's legal or not!

Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by Big buff View Post
    Our Indiana rule book says nothing about not taking GG or even that they exist. We fish the Ohio river under Indiana laws and I'm betting an arrow caint tell the difference if it's legal or not!
    I bet Johnny green pants can though!

Bighead Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I bet Johnny green pants can though!
    yea they don't know jack about nothing either, but I'm sure they would tell me it's illegal even though he couldn't prove it! I have actually yet to see anything for sure saying that you can't take them in KY but I'm sure u can't since there restocking them.

Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by Big buff View Post
    yea they don't know jack about nothing either, but I'm sure they would tell me it's illegal even though he couldn't prove it! I have actually yet to see anything for sure saying that you can't take them in KY but I'm sure u can't since there restocking them.
    It is in the KY regulation at the bottom of the page here... http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/001/410.htm

Indiana has this in the regulation... I bet it falls under threatened or endangered.

All other fish, except those classified as threatened or endangered, may be taken with the same sport fishing methods described above, as well as with the following methods:

Long or compound bow with an arrow having one or more barbs and an attached line. Catfish cannot be taken with bow and arrow during nighttime hours (½ hour after sunset until ½ hour before sunrise).

Pond Scum
    I talked to a commericial fisherman that fishes for spoonies in the ohio river last week and he said that they usually catch four-five small gator gar a year in the river. Sounds like they are around anyway.

Bighead Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    It is in the KY regulation at the bottom of the page here... http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/001/410.htm

Indiana has this in the regulation... I bet it falls under threatened or endangered.

All other fish, except those classified as threatened or endangered, may be taken with the same sport fishing methods described above, as well as with the following methods:

Long or compound bow with an arrow having one or more barbs and an attached line. Catfish cannot be taken with bow and arrow during nighttime hours (½ hour after sunset until ½ hour before sunrise).
    GG are not on our Endangered or Threatened list or any list for that matter in Indiana. Our laws for Bowfishing list the fish we can shoot and all it says is all gar. But it could be in the fine print somewhere or at least Johnny Green paints would say so!! All I know for sure is they better swim deep under my boat!!

28. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

...advertisement