I Want To Go Noodling... (Texas)

...advertisement

Thread: I Want To Go Noodling... (Texas)

I Want To Go Noodling... (Texas)

So I have decided I need to go noodling at least once in my lifetime. I am not going to just go do it on my own, having no experience.

Does anyone in the Montgomery/Walker/Trinity County area go noodling? I would like to tag along or we can take my boat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Electrocutioner
    You need to wait untill the law goes in to effect-Sept. 1 ?- making it legal in Texas.

I thought it was legal... guess I'll wait til September.

BFC Addict
    CANT WAIT TILL SEPT.!!!

Electrocutioner
    Quote Originally Posted by maglite View Post
    CANT WAIT TILL SEPT.!!!
    I'm guessing on that date---still needs to be signed by the Governor and rules and start date set.

BFC Addict
    I hear ya bud! Cant wait on the date that gets set!!!

I know where there is a big ol hole up in the bank of the Trinity! must go 12ft up in there! There just HAS to be a big yellow cat in there. I will take you there if you will go in! Might want to check and see if the 12ft gator that dug it is home first...

Silver Carp
    That is the big problem with noodling in Texas...In OK, for example, all they have in those big holes are catfish, beavers, nutria, snakes, scorpions and a few other nasties. In Texas, we will also have to contend with the gators!
    Wonder if any one will try to noodle in Choke Canyon!!

You are folls if you do that I saw some big azz gators down there last week no freaking way I would even consider getting in that water.

Electrocutioner
    Quote Originally Posted by crfishhunter View Post
    You are folls if you do that I saw some big azz gators down there last week no freaking way I would even consider getting in that water.
    Gators don't bite the locals-only tourists. We train them early.

Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 05-22-2011 at 04:14 AM.

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw View Post
    That is the big problem with noodling in Texas...In OK, for example, all they have in those big holes are catfish, beavers, nutria, snakes, scorpions and a few other nasties. In Texas, we will also have to contend with the gators!
    Sure. Where is it?

Electrocutioner
    http://www.texastribune.org/texas-le...fish-in-texas/
    By chance I watched this go through committee in the House and Senate. Interesting testimony in both to say the least.
    The text of the bill as passed:

H.B. No. 2189

AN ACT
    relating to the regulation of handfishing.
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
    SECTION 1. Subchapter B, Chapter 66, Parks and Wildlife Code, is amended by adding Section 66.115 to read as follows:
    Sec. 66.115. HANDFISHING. (a) In this section, "handfishing" means fishing for catfish by the use of hands only and without any other fishing device such as a gaff, pole hook, trap, or spear.
    (b) A person holding the required fishing license and freshwater fishing stamp issued to the person by the department may engage in handfishing in the public fresh water of this state.
    (c) The commission may adopt rules related to handfishing.
    SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect September 1, 2011.

Part in red was added by TPWD so expect some regulations as for time of year it will be permitted.
    Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 05-22-2011 at 12:42 PM.

I just want to go with someone who has done it before. September 2nd, I'm noodling somewhere.

Its alot of fun but we dont have gators up here just little stuff that aint gonna kill ya .

Tadpole
    We were talking about this at work today. Red River sounds like a good place to noodle. Trinity River sounds like a good place to lose an arm.

Common Carp
    Noodling will be over by then it's a spawning thing, what about catfish with a bow in Texas was that put up for a vote again? oh we had a guy drown last weekend that went by himself and got hung-up in a hole. For better outdoors take a kid hunting & fishing it's our future. Randy

Mudfish
    Some here n S.C. use hook line and pole,Ilike to grab um in G.A.cant use the pole... We are catching them now we use scubba gear to get to the deep holes

Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by fo_teef View Post
    We were talking about this at work today. Red River sounds like a good place to noodle. Trinity River sounds like a good place to lose an arm.
    If you wanna go I'll take you to some holes a few buddies of mine sunk some 55 gal drums in on the red....did t once with them bu every other time I have been up there the water is up or they are generating. Now would be a good time because they arnt generating much. It's legal there now...no need to wait! Lol

Redfish
    Nope, I don't see myself every noodling. Aint' gonna happen. I've bungee jumped, I even went sky diving and I've stuck my hands in some other places, but never intend to stick my hand where it can get bit.

Aint no bigger thrill than a big ole flathead swallowing your arm up to your elbow in one bite.

Hammerhead
    Ain't no way I would ever go hoggin.... End up stickin your grubs in a hole and you will end up like this....

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Aint no bigger thrill than a big ole flathead swallowing your arm up to your elbow in one bite.
    X2!

Common Carp
    2 many turtles for me

Electrocutioner
    HB 2189-the law to allow noodling in Texas-was signed by the Governor today. Should be legal to do shortly.

Chainsaw Willy
    A Ranch out in da middle of nowhere…far away from all you crazy people.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarGuys View Post
    I know where there is a big ol hole up in the bank of the Trinity! must go 12ft up in there! There just HAS to be a big yellow cat in there. I will take you there if you will go in! Might want to check and see if the 12ft gator that dug it is home first...
    I know where there is a concrete structure that has a doorway that you could just walk in and feel around with your feet :-) ummm...no thank you...

Silver Carp
    Sure. Where is it?
    90 miles South of San Antonio.
    Come on down and I'll take you out to a really good place...It's called Telephone pole point!
    There are some BIG ones in that area!

On one hand, noodling freaks me out a little bit. But on the on the other hand, snatching a catfish out of the water by hand would be a HUGE adrenalin rush. I know that once I caught my first one, it would be on like donkey kong.

BFC Addict
    Im in as soon as it passes!!

Electrocutioner
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
    HB 2189-the law to allow noodling in Texas-was signed by the Governor today. Should be legal to do shortly.
    As in now.

Im in as soon as it passes!!
    It has passed the Legislature and was signed into law today by the Governor. Although it is not listed as being in effect yet I am fairly certain this law took effect the moment the Governor signed it.

Clown Fish
    Finally...Now the fun begins!!!!! so you think it took into effect as soon as perry signed it??

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw View Post
    90 miles South of San Antonio.
    Come on down and I'll take you out to a really good place...It's called Telephone pole point!
    There are some BIG ones in that area!
    I'll be sure to keep it in mind if I ever make it back down in that country.

Mudfish
    Christian, I was gonna tell you to try it at Anahuac but I would hate to see you lose a hand to one of the many gators down there! Alligator snapping turtles will do some damage too.

Electrocutioner
    Effective immediately 06/17/2011
    Signed by the Governor 06/17/2011

BFC Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
    Effective immediately 06/17/2011
    Signed by the Governor 06/17/2011
    So you saying its legal TODAY!!!!!!!

Electrocutioner
    So you saying its legal TODAY!!!!!!!
    Heck yeah!