*NEW* ALLIGATOR GAR RESTRICTIONS FOR TX BOWFISHERMEN

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *NEW* ALLIGATOR GAR RESTRICTIONS FOR TX BOWFISHERMEN

*NEW* ALLIGATOR GAR RESTRICTIONS FOR TX BOWFISHERMEN

CAUGHT WORD FROM A FEW PEOPLE AND CONFIRMED WITH TPWD. A MEETING WAS HELD AT FALCON LAKE AND TACKLE REGARDING ALLIGATOR GAR HARVEST BY BOW-FISHERMAN DURING THE SPAWNING MONTHS. NEW REGULATIONS ARE HEADED OUR DIRECTION POSSIBLY SHUTTING OFF HARVEST COMPLETELY DURING MONTHS OF SPAWN. Just spreading the word anyone catch wind of this yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

http://www.tackleandrods.com/lake/flash.htm link to article on falcon lake fish and tackle about the meeting

Hammerhead
    Some people not going to be happy bout that

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by huntingnut View Post
    Some people not going to be happy bout that
    That'll keep those Minnesota guys out of the southern states and keep some 8' gar out of yankee land

Gator Gar
    thats ridiculous

Hoopty's Special someone
    Is this going to be a state wide ban if they can figure out the spawn but unless they shut it down for 2 straight months then the weather plays such a key in the spawn that it could vary by a month in either direction of typical spawn times.

The state has very little accurate information period on the species as a whole. if anyone would like to contact tpwd I have the direct number to one of the gentleman that attended the meeting and is involved with the above. pm for contact info

Common Carp
    Well according to everyone on here there is no GG in Texas. Apparently you have to go to Louisiana to shoot one. I don't see what the deal is?

Silver Carp
    It always amazes me how the TPWD and PWC can recommend "Emergency" regulations without a single scientific study to back them up!
    All of the evidence, including creel studies and shocking studies, show that game fish are declining in lakes that have a population of Gator gar.
    Falcon is a good example... Choke Canyon is another. Choke used to be a mecca for bass fishermen. Now that the lake has been down for a couple years, the population of game fish has declined. Shad and other bait fish have also declined, while the gar population has increased. How do you interpret that? Simple... stomach content analysis does (and will) show the Gar are eating any thing they can find and that means BASS and other game fish.
    Why can't the biologist's at TPWD see this??

Bighead Carp
    Maybe they gonna do like Texoma, and shut down the month of May? Other than that I can't seehow they gonna predict the spawn. Idk

Quote Originally Posted by CRACKCORN View Post
    Maybe they gonna do like Texoma, and shut down the month of May? Other than that I can't seehow they gonna predict the spawn. Idk
    the spawn does vary a lot but we already have these restrictions in ark.i would like to see texas and ark. and la. at least have one fish hatchery start working with gator gar and learn to spawn them and start a restocking program weather we like to admit it or not a lot of areas are running short to none of them. there are areas that still have enough in their waters but its shrinking. just my 2 cents

Chainsaw Willy
    A Ranch out in da middle of nowhere…far away from all you crazy people.
    I wish I could predict the spawn, I would have put them on the endangered species list by now... but I'm glad they are taking measures to protect the gador gar...

Gator Gar
    Well crap!!! There goes my plans for spring! Guess we will be down at our normal time of the year.

I will be down for the garbananza laws or no laws. LOL

Pond Scum
    Are they going to start that this year.

Inmate
    Well carp haha If the damn gar fish would have a regular spawn time every year same time this could work but with then being affected by the wether so much I don't see how it will work

Redfish
    As of now there are more questions and rumors than anything.

I will post what Tpw tells me tomorrow.

Silver Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw View Post
    It always amazes me how the TPWD and PWC can recommend "Emergency" regulations without a single scientific study to back them up!
    All of the evidence, including creel studies and shocking studies, show that game fish are declining in lakes that have a population of Gator gar.
    Falcon is a good example... Choke Canyon is another. Choke used to be a mecca for bass fishermen. Now that the lake has been down for a couple years, the population of game fish has declined. Shad and other bait fish have also declined, while the gar population has increased. How do you interpret that? Simple... stomach content analysis does (and will) show the Gar are eating any thing they can find and that means BASS and other game fish.
    Why can't the biologist's at TPWD see this??
    Happened here too. Knee jerk reactions to the observations of a few with no science to substantiate the actions.

Kinda like:
    Vehicle emissions melting are the polar ice caps...
    Everyone should own a home, even if they can't afford it...
    If everyone has health insurance, healthcare will be cheaper ...

I am all for conserving the species, it just makes a lot more sense to have the data to substantiate your claim before blanket regulation. Unfortunately, it seems this is the world we live in now.

Admin
    i have a spot i can shoot gator gar from at almost anytime of the year. this will not affect me

Common Carp
    humm wonder if the BAA is going to go stand and fight this for us

Is the wave of the future folks,biology has gone out the door for political pressures.I am all about Fish and wildlife conservation,but dont depend on fact to protect whats right.....or needed

Redfish
    well if this goes thru I hope they can predict it better than they did flounder. They missed that spawn last year so are proposing to extend it not only for whole month of Nov but into Oct and Dec. too. Jeez.

I've got an email in to Region 3. We will have something soon. The TBA is on it.

Redfish
    Better join up because it takes number to fight.

Redfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Two Guns View Post
    Better join up because it takes number to fight.
    AMEN!!!

Mudfish
    Well I hope the decision makers in Austin are smarter than the last batch that made a change WITHOUT ANY supporting scientific data. Of course I know its all political now.

Its the entire state. The same discussion as the flounder. That's what I was saying a while back. There is a serious anti bowfishing agenda. Im not just guessing here. I had a hard time getting folks to believe me.

Redfish
    Their not Robert, read the transcript.
    One commissioner talks about his son catching one of these fish (guess to be 60 yrs old, could be 10 yrs).
    I bet if that kid was taken out on a bowfishing trip for the same fish and then asked which was more fun.
    It wouldn't be the R&R I'm sure. Long hours of sitting there soaking a bait vs actively hunting.
    They are biased and I plan on making it my mission to get these commissioners elected by the voting public
    vs appointed as they are now. These men DO NOT represent us or the common man or the children.
    They talk about recruitment declining. I wonder why, maybe the because in Texas it has to be trophy before
    you can take it. How do get children interested when it takes hours and hours if not years to be able to take
    a trophy.

Redfish
    Steve, I know you can shoot holes in their facts. That guy Daugherty gave that commission half truths only. He never gave the whole truth.

I said it in 2009 at the commissioners meeting. The commissioner mentioned his pond drying up and nothing but gar left. What does he think happens in the rivers, like way upper Trinity, Brazos, Colorado and others. When there is drought your left with pools of water. If there is a gar there it will eat everything and when the rains come all you have left are gar. No bass, no crappie, no catfish, just fat gar

Quote Originally Posted by huntforfunnfood View Post
    humm wonder if the BAA is going to go stand and fight this for us
    baa cant help themselves much less anyone else on the chopping block...gonna have to fight this one on your own...

Redfish
    Allan, they say Lousiana can't produce a gator gar over 4'.
    How can I prove they are wrong. How can we show them that LA
    has plenty 6, 7 and 8 footers too?

They don't want to be like LA but us sportsmen want us to be exactly like LA.
    You can take catfish, redfish and alligator gar. Texas is about to go three for three.
    Screw it, I'm just gonna move.

Redfish
    im sure la boys can prove there are gg over 4 feet there.

Yall need to talk to Dan Bennet. They are making a fool of him. He is your only hope if you want to stop this. He could shoot this down in ten seconds...of course he would be looking for a job in a week. However, Dan is about science, not politics. We have had that discussion before.

FrogHunter, Buddy I like you but you better wake up here. this is not rumor nor speculation. I told you there was a new anti bowfishing agenda a while back. Im hearing a little of whats said behind closed doors in Austin. The CCA and HOH are pushing any avenue to stop bowfishing.

Please don't mistake what they tell you for the truth.

I have a messgae in to dan bennet waiting on a call back

Hoopty's Special someone
    Me
    To dan.bennett@tpwd.texas.gov

Today at 12:22 PM

Mr. Bennett,

I have just read the transcript from the November 2013 Commissioner's meeting. I remember from talking to you years ago (in the middle of the one alligator gar per day debate) that you have a genuine interest in doing the right thing for having a sustainable alligator gar population in TX. What I read in the transcript was a bunch of half facts and skewed statistics used to push an anti bowfishing agenda.

Its pretty obvious that these gator gar populations are independent of each other. Sure some of the gar that live downstream of dams of each river system might go out into the bay, but a gar that lives in the lower Trinity isn't going to swim out into the bay, along the coast and up into the Sabine drainage. You and I both know this, and they flat out said it in the meeting, they are different populations.

Hypothetically....IF the gator gar population in say, the Neches was declining, then they should look into regulation of harvest for that water body, not a blanket regulation for the entire state. To me that's like shutting of mule deer hunting in West Texas because they couldn't locate any in the pineywoods. I believe that a blanket law for the entire state banning their harvest by bow would only make things worse in river systems such as the Trinity, where the gar are already at their maximum sustainable level.

At the very least, it seems to make sense scientifically that this should be tabled until more studies can be done not only for each waterbody, but also until the impacts of them no longer being able to be commercially harvested can be measured.

Thank you for your time,

Steven Sallee

I can promise you, if I thought that the gator gar fishery was in trouble, I would be the first one pushing for some type of regulation to help them rebound.

Redfish
    We, the TBA, have a meeting with Craig Bonds tomorrow for dinner to discuss this. After this he wants to set up a group meeting to discuss it all and to hear everyones point of view after being presented with what that have.

We don't know what it is or what he has, but we will know tomorrow.
    Last edited by Texas Two Guns; 01-29-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Great Tony. tell him there are so many 4-5fters down here that I cant even fish my favorite holes for them. They know darn well there isn't a population problem unless its that there are too many small fish for optimum growth.

Silver Carp
    Are any of you guys part of the TWA? I know they have pretty good input in what happens regarding rules and regs and concerning wildlife. I would assume they could help with this. I know some folks if I need to make a call.

Thoughts Steve?

42. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

...advertisement