The "Real" Bowfishing Guru

...advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Real" Bowfishing Guru

Hammerhead

The "Real" Bowfishing Guru

Was going thru the DVR watching a bowfishing show that was recorded a while back by the self proclaimed "Bowfishing Guru" and just got me thinking or venting which ever you want to call it. But who would you nominate or vote for as "The Bowfishing Guru". I mean you have Mike,Alex and Mud that dedicate all this time effort and money to keep this site running and besides sticking fish, shooting tourneys,banning people,and even doing the Campbell Bowfishing Challenge for Mike. Or OBG, who hasn't been on in a while but electrical knowledge has helped many of us with our lighting or electrical issues. Or Shot , with the time he spends doing kids events and unselfishly dressing as Captain Cajun, and making custom fish thumpers and plaques as prizes. Or Joe and Amanda Nichols , that put in their time trying to run and organize the BAA for the rest of us and their love of the sport. Or everyone that takes the time to put on or host a tournament so everyone else can compete every weekend. Or Chuck and Brian or own "Ironmen" that also have their own show and host tournaments , have their own boat and a successful store to keep us all stocked up and supplied so we can do what we do every weekend. Or Mark Land , "Mr Muzzy" also a t.v ( no ky, not transvestite) celeb and on the forum helping with muzzy and other questions. Or Joe from American Eagle that trolls the site answering Oneida questions and keeping our bows shooting. Or Gargod, even with an eye injury still getting strings out and assume helping people from his shop in Texas. Or one of any number of Bowfishing guides for fish and gators that take people out everyday and weekend and have the pressure of producing or putting their clients on fish on that given day or nite. Or any one of the site vendors that support this forum. Or all the people that came together to show support to the families with the loss of Matt and Ryan... I go out on a regular basis,own my own boat,almost always get into fish,have taken people out for their first time successfully and shoot decent numbers for our area, even done a successful bowfishing segment on our local "Outdoors Delmarva" TV show, been in the boat when my son shot a 110 lb stingray and don't consider myself a "guru". So who would you nominate or what do you think it takes to be considered a bowfishing guru ? Or would you not want the title or consider yourself worthy of the title ?
    Last edited by garpwacker; 06-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Chainsaw Willy
    A Ranch out in da middle of nowhere…far away from all you crazy people.
    Bowfishing Randy!!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WBG444 View Post
    Bowfishing Randy!!!
    X-2

And Bellmore, Hoopty, and Brady

Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by WBG444 View Post
    Bowfishing Randy!!!
    Yeah him and a whole long list of others that have been at it way before it ever became cool, like Sully, Steve & Sam, etc, etc,etc.

Inmate
    Oh yeah, Fred Bear too, we can't forget about that guy.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Throughthegills View Post
    Oh yeah, Fred Bear too, we can't forget about that guy.

Gator Gar
    Well, in fairness, Corey....the the self titled guru....does work with kids as well. And he's a pretty good fella to boot. My take on it would be to have someone with a ton of knowledge to handle the title guru and Randy would sure fit that bill. He'd get my vote, proof in the pudding and all. Couple that with all his other work and I'm thinkin he has the title hands down. I gotta admit to smiling at being included in the list but it's certainly undeserved. Flopper stopper guru maybe! If everyone realized how much time and effort Randy puts into all he does i dont think there would be any doubt, altho I did see several other names that are sure worthy.

Those that deserve the title are humble enough to not want it!

And thanks for the clarification wacker!! Lol..

Officer Farva
    Randy would get my vote also.

Y'all forgot about Harold Speed!! Didn't you watch the YouTube video??

Mudfish
    Randy !! Multiple World Championships. Youth worlds has just gotten bigger & bigger !! Has done more for Bowfishing over the years than anyone I know of. Helped me out a lot when I was just getting started.

Rob Davis, Sully, Ron Skirvin, Mark Land, Chris Cass, Randy Woodward, Alan Yedor Jr. That's a good start.

Gator Gar
    Randy all day

Hammerhead
    My vote is for mark land he's one of the only ones on the list that I've met. He's a great guy but he really needs to eat something.

Randy!!Lots of folks I look up to that are on here too,kind of ticks me off when anybody calls themselves a "Guru",of anything though

Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Bighead View Post
    Y'all forgot about Harold Speed!! Didn't you watch the YouTube video??
    Didn't see the video but saw all the dead gar he left floating around the lake when they were done, got my vote for sure!!! Great guy lol

Quote Originally Posted by iltfah View Post
    Didn't see the video but saw all the dead gar he left floating around the lake when they were done, got my vote for sure!!! Great guy lol
    Lol.. You should watch the video!!

Shad
    Lol.. You should watch the video!!
    That tha one where they talk about boats and spankin boners?

Inmate
    What's the name if the vid

I'm amazed that this question just got brought up here on BFC since I knew for sure alot of you out there were wonding the same thing I and many others that have been doing this for many years were wondering. When I 1st heard about it, Cory had just started bowfishing and only been doing it for about 3 years or so, so wonder where the nickname came from as it certainly was not earned or deserved in any way, but I guess you can call yourself anything if you want and he even got it tatooed on his skin! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by markland View Post
    I'm amazed that this question just got brought up here on BFC since I knew for sure alot of you out there were wonding the same thing I and many others that have been doing this for many years were wondering. When I 1st heard about it, Cory had just started bowfishing and only been doing it for about 3 years or so, so wonder where the nickname came from as it certainly was not earned or deserved in any way, but I guess you can call yourself anything if you want and he even got it tatooed on his skin! LOL
    ...I have wondered that for some time,about him and many others...what makes a celebrity hunter?Money...nothing less...there was a fellow on here for a while talking big game,killed his fist deer in 92......3/4 of them guys on TV are ...well I better quit. Thanks Mark for being a great guy and one of many ambassadors of our sport

Mudfish
    I have gotten lots of info from alot of people on here I think in our bowfishing community there are many great people yes some shoot better than others some no more about lights others boats bows,rest, arrows, deep water shooting u name it there are some great people, but its only the great ones that share from what they know. Be it a very small tid bit of info to the building of a boat we here have some great people. To name just one just wouldn't be fair. Thanks to a web site that i have been on and have been a part of since Bowfish usa. Everybody keep up the great work in promoting and helping. GURU guy keep selling if it works for you the rest thanks for the info!!!

Chainsaw Willy
    A Ranch out in da middle of nowhere…far away from all you crazy people.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    X-2

those three are just faces and names... no comparison to Randy.... with that being said I almost shot Randy in the leg one time...shook me up so bad I couldn't focus the rest of the day...he simply said " it wouldn't be the first time I've been shot with an arrow.... and would y'all please be quiet, I'm trying to hunt some gador gar"

Water Magic Imaging
    Quote Originally Posted by markland View Post
    AMEN!

Water Magic Imaging
    JUST SOME FYI : Your Level of Ranking and Respect is "EARNED" by showing up and consistently outdoing your fellow competitors and putting in your time and hard work..(Bowfishing as an Ex.) ... It is not given to you by yourself or because you think you are at a certain level or have TV shows or film videos.. It is "Earned" and given as its deserved by the other "TRUE" members of the sport and fellow competitors..

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by garpoon View Post
    JUST SOME FYI : Your Level of Ranking and Respect is "EARNED" by showing up and consistently outdoing your fellow competitors and putting in your time and hard work..(Bowfishing as an Ex.) ... It is not given to you by yourself or because you think you are at a certain level or have TV shows or film videos.. It is "Earned" and given as its deserved by the other "TRUE" members of the sport and fellow competitors..
    I would feel safe to say that even if a person had the respect of their peers to be called a "Guru" that they would probably have enough moral character to take offense to someone calling them the "Guru"...That show with that title over and over just rubbed me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by garpoon View Post
    And you have to have a scary profile pic!! Lol..

Hammerhead
    And you have to have a scary profile pic!! Lol..
    Your one to talk about a scary profile pic....at least they just legalized marriage for ya, looks like your ready.

Quote Originally Posted by garpwacker View Post
    Your one to talk about a scary profile pic....at least they just legalized marriage for ya, looks like your ready.
    You're.. Lol..

Don't get me started on that BULLCHIT!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    X-2

Hahaha.....Thanks but "GURU" I am not. I have been fortunate enough to meet a ton of great folks through bowfishing. I can say that meeting all of you guys and fishing with many of you has made me very "well rounded"..lol. No pun intended. I think it is great to travel around and see the different things that everyone does and figure out what works best in each situation. Bowfishing is just like any other type of hunting , in the sense that it is a little different everywhere you go. I hate to say it, but we have lost alot of the comradery at bowfishing tournaments and that has hurt the newer guys. I don't want to highjack the thread, but when we had no trailering everyone stayed close to each other and interacted alot more before the shoots. This is where I met many of the "oldtimers" and became friends with them. When you talk to someone that knows more than you about bows,lights, or a boat in person, you gain respect for that person and realize your position on the food chain. I think with the lack of interaction between teams is what has led to poor sportsmanship and cheating allegations recently. I believe like stated above that a self title is never a good thing. It leaves the door wide open for interpretation. With the closeness of the bowfishing community it would be a tough one to pull off. I have met Cory before and he seems like a good guy. I think he has that same passion we have and basically got the bowfishing bug. He, unlike "us", made his moves in public instead of, like most of us, privately years ago. I can't hate on him because he has brought alot of positive light to the sport. I hope that no one ever thinks I know everything about anything. I believe the day I quit learning will be the day they close the lid. I look forward to the next trip and the next thing I learn.

very well said and thanks Chuck

I don't consider anybody a guru. A guru is the end all be all when it comes to knowledge. However there are guys on this site that I consder mentors that have all taught me different things when it comes to bowfishin g and life in general.

Brady taught me its ok to be a little weird... People get used to it and learn to like it
    Hoopty showed me you can always have a good time. And if your having fun then somebody else is too
    Chuck taught me to carry yourself in a positive and light manner if your ever in front of the camera
    I learned that keeping heritage and traditions alive is important for our sport from kuger. I feel like he's one of a dying breed and one of the few I'd consider a true mountain man
    Gargod taught me that no matter what problems or issue somebody has and needs your expertise to treat it like its number one priority. Hes left me his shop at my disposal to put a bow back together.

There's a lot more ppl I could add on here but the list would go on for days. So the next time you talk to a first timer or a kid think of the impact you'll be making!

Officer Farva
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCore View Post
    Hahaha.....Thanks but "GURU" I am not. I have been fortunate enough to meet a ton of great folks through bowfishing. I can say that meeting all of you guys and fishing with many of you has made me very "well rounded"..lol. No pun intended. I think it is great to travel around and see the different things that everyone does and figure out what works best in each situation. Bowfishing is just like any other type of hunting , in the sense that it is a little different everywhere you go. I hate to say it, but we have lost alot of the comradery at bowfishing tournaments and that has hurt the newer guys. I don't want to highjack the thread, but when we had no trailering everyone stayed close to each other and interacted alot more before the shoots. This is where I met many of the "oldtimers" and became friends with them. When you talk to someone that knows more than you about bows,lights, or a boat in person, you gain respect for that person and realize your position on the food chain. I think with the lack of interaction between teams is what has led to poor sportsmanship and cheating allegations recently. I believe like stated above that a self title is never a good thing. It leaves the door wide open for interpretation. With the closeness of the bowfishing community it would be a tough one to pull off. I have met Cory before and he seems like a good guy. I think he has that same passion we have and basically got the bowfishing bug. He, unlike "us", made his moves in public instead of, like most of us, privately years ago. I can't hate on him because he has brought alot of positive light to the sport. I hope that no one ever thinks I know everything about anything. I believe the day I quit learning will be the day they close the lid. I look forward to the next trip and the next thing I learn.
    Very well said brother

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieG View Post
    Very well said brother
    X2!!

Admin
    nicely put
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCore View Post

BFC Addict
    Good thread!

Silver Carp
    I've watched The Love Guru several times, does that count?

Mariska Hargitay everyone!

Admin
    im not much of a guru more of a legend. in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by rum3002576 View Post
    im not much of a guru more of a legend. in my own mind
    And a d*uche in everyone else's!

Admin
    And a d*uche in everyone else's!
    Easy there slick. YOu know you love me

42. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com