Spearfishing for Carp??

...advertisement

Thread: Spearfishing for Carp??

Pond Scum

Spearfishing for Carp??

Anybody given it a try? I just got seriously into bowfishing last summer and can't wait to get back on the water this spring, but I thought, wouldn't it be cool to be IN the water? I have no idea if this is a viable option, but it seemed like it cold be a fun challenge. A few of the lakes that I shot at last year (and a few I'm considering for this year) have very clear water and it seems do-able. Just not sure if the fish are so spooky that I'll be able to get into range. Thoughts???

-Jeffro

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Inmate
    I don't see why you couldn't but what would be the point?Not understanding.It just sounds a little silly to me is all since you can pop all you want to shoot at at point blank range already without getting wet.

Gator Gar
    I know of a group of guys from Utah that do it... they say its a blast... Just a whole diffrent game...

I have shot carp underwater while diving for walleye. The only problem is that I only have 8 feet of cord on my bolt. If I shoot and don't kill it, then I have to swim after it so it don't pull the $300.00 spear gun off my wrist or break the cord attaching to the bolt.

Hammerhead
    Never actually spearfished, but I've gigged for them before. There are a few old dams on the river back home where the water runs slow enough that you can walk right beneath it in about 8 inches of water over a concrete stilling basin thats about 10 feet wide and 100 yards or so long. Carp stack up in it in the summer. It'd be hell on arrows so I don't take a bow down, but it's fun to walk through there and gig them.

Bighead Carp
    I have shot a bunch of carp with my Hawaiian sling in canyon lake

Needle Nose Gar
    There are quite a few videos on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by SOOG View Post
    I have shot a bunch of carp with my Hawaiian sling in canyon lake
    Thats how I did it....I would rather stick them with an arrow though.I spearfish for everything else though!!

Gator Gar
    i would like to try it.

Clown Fish
    I love spearfishing. Its a lot more fun in the ocean however in fresh water its still awsome especially if you can get some big carp. Just make sure you have a clear enough lake or you wont have any chance. Also check if you can spear eatable fish such as perch or bluegill and walleye. I know here in wisconsin we can only spear ruff fish and panfish so walleye are out but its still a lot of fun and you get to choose what you want to shoot

I've speared them before, it's a good time. Still not even close to shooting them, but I usually have one in the boat if the occasion presents itself I am ready...

never done it with a spear gun. I have only gigged and shot them with a bow. Dont think i would want to do it any other way

Ass Pimple
    wrong website...

I have a speargun. Course its extremely hard to find a lake clear enough in indiana to do it.

Clown Fish
    Here in Utah we can spearfish for every species of fish except for tiger muskie. I've been wanting to try it the next time I head up to Bear Lake to bowfish carp. The lake is natural and so clear that I can easily see past 30ft down to the bottom in some areas. Diving for the fish just sounds like a great way to relax and cool down after standing out in the hot sun while trolling for carp.

Tadpole
    Been doing both for over ten years but I would rather bowfish day of the week over diving.

Ass Pimple
    i'm scared of diving in most the places i fish...i once caught a human body on the missouri river...

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by pokey308 View Post
    I have a speargun. Course its extremely hard to find a lake clear enough in indiana to do it.
    Ha well you are obviously not far North Enough!!!
    we have some that you can see @ 8+ feet

Nope I'm not. Where do I need to go?

Pond Scum
    Cool! Thanks for all the input. Just figured it'd be fun to give it a try on a hot summer day as a way too cool off. Banks Lake in Eastern, WA gets soo dang hot in the mid day that you can barely stand on the boat, so this will give me options..

Pond Scum
    I spearfish them on the red river and texoma in tx/ok all the time. they really don't care much about a diver being near them. I almost got a spoonbill the other day spearfishing and maybe i'll be the first in OK to get a gatorgar spearfishing.

Hoopty's Special someone
    Used to spearfish as a kid on Green Bay. When the carp spawn on GB they are so thick you can almost walk on them. We lived right on the Bay and the rocky shoreline kept the water clear through all the spawning comotion. We basically went swimming with gig poles, masks, snorkels and fins. Great fun but water was REALLY cold during the May spawn........had to wear wet suits and even then it was about a 30 minute limit with 50-55 degree water.

Make sure you have a HUGE barb if you use a gig type spear.........they get off a standard frog gig pretty easy when you don't have a rope or string.

I used to do it as a kid and I am gonna pick it up again this summer as my kid wants to start snorkeling. Ill mostly go after big blue gils but I wont be able to resist whacking a huge wisconsin carp.

25. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

...advertisement