Convert an 80lb Minn Kota To a 101lb

...advertisement

Thread: Convert an 80lb Minn Kota To a 101lb

Shad

Convert an 80lb Minn Kota To a 101lb

I have an 24V 80lb thrust Minn Kota Riptide. I am wondering if it is possible to convert this into a
    36V 101lb thrust model. I was looking for replacement parts and saw the the controller board is the same for 24V and the 36V models. It looks like all I would have to do is swap out the 24V armature for the 36V armature. Has anyone tried this? Do you think this is possible?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Common Carp
    subscribed!

Bighead Carp
    ive been on the same idea with my powerdrive v2... if its all the same part numbers of control boards and guage wires, just make sure the armiture is the right size, they have a 3.5" and a 4", you might have to just get the whole bullet with armiture....

Bighead Carp
    My troller guy converted mine. No problems

Needle Nose Gar
    Wondering to! Think Maby just swop board and armachur. Make sure the voltage is ok for wiring and hopefully be set. Hoping to here what's all needed and if it works?

Needle Nose Gar
    I've got the 24/36v board also. Im going to swop out the armachur and see what happens. It will be a few weeks but I'll post my findings

Shad
    Night-prowler,

You'll probably get to it before I will. I talked to some electrical engineers at work and said is should be fine. I also compared the parts lists for a 80lb to a 101lb thrust. I only found 3 things that have different part numbers between the 2. The armature is different and the battery meter is different. Let us now how it turns out.

Scott

Dereck
    Call northland marine ask for jason he will let u know every part u need . Ive turned a 65 to a 70
    And a 74 to a 80

Needle Nose Gar
    The center housing is a different size, so swoping that you proly need a new shaft also. Looking at around 200$ something. I'm still digging.

Needle Nose Gar
    All parts have been ordered, I'll post picts and a writeup when complete!

Shad
    Night-Prowler,

Any word on your conversion yet? Also you said something about needing a new shaft? Is that because of how the are attached to the motor housing? seam likes you should be able to take the old housing off of the current shaft without much trouble?

Scott

Needle Nose Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott7030 View Post
    Night-Prowler,

Any word on your conversion yet? Also you said something about needing a new shaft? Is that because of how the are attached to the motor housing? seam likes you should be able to take the old housing off of the current shaft without much trouble?

Scott
    Well mine is a 52" shaft and there lockitghted in (red). I figure y chance wrecking the threads taking it apart. For 30 $ I got a 60" shaft. And that way I have a back up 80 still if I break it lol! All my parts came last week I need to get my boat this week from the farm.

Needle Nose Gar
    The battery guage is only 24volt so you will instantly blow that also. Only 10$ for a new 36v.

Shad
    I'm going to order the parts this week. I'll take a chance on the shaft. If I can't get it off then I'll get a new one. Thanks for the info.

Needle Nose Gar
    Ill post the part # tonight when I get home around 5

Shad
    Night-prowler,

I see some other posts on here where they sadi it's almost impossible to get the motor housing off without damaging the shaft, so i will order a new one of them as well.

Where did you order your parts from?

Needle Nose Gar
    I order from Northland Marine, 715-546-2333
    Center housing - 92-200-110. 75.00 $
    Armachur - 92-100-216. 110.00 $
    36v battery guage 207-4072. 10.00 $
    Talk with jason and he can set u up with a shaft also!
    Mike,
    Last edited by Night-prowler; 03-18-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Shad
    Mike,

I just checked out another posting in the troliing motor section that shows you how to remove the shaft without damaging it. Thanks for the info on where to get the parts. I will give him a call.

Shad
    well, taking the shaft off the mototr was not an easy task. I failed, I ended up striping the threads off from the shaft. So today I will see if I can re thread the shaft.

Shad
    I finally have all of the parts that i need for the conversion, after a slight hiccup with the trolling motor shaft. I was able to install the new one last night without any trouble. So know all I have to do is but the motor and head back together and it will be ready to go. Hopefully I will be able to try it out this weekend.

I'd like to turn my power drive v2 from a 45 to a 55 haha has anyone tried that?

...advertisement