Getting used to an Oneida?

...advertisement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting used to an Oneida?

Clown Fish

Getting used to an Oneida?

A few months back I got the bug for a lever bow and started searching around. Found a nice gently used AeroForce in LH and have been shooting with it a lot. As much as I like the smooth draw and shooting characteristics, my %'s with it are dismal compared to my PSE Nova.

Anybody that switched to a lever bow, did you have to warm up to it? Was there anything you found that you needed to do different to shoot better with it?

As mentioned, I previously shot the occasional recurve but mainly a PSE Nova with a retriever, and my hit % was prolly 80% on honest doable shots. With this AeroForce using a spinner, I'm maybe at 20% and some days 10%.

Only explanation/break I can give myself is so far the bigger fish havent shown up and I've been shooting small gar, of course I miss and can tell how I missed, but often times I fully expect to connect and am surprised to come up empty, so I'm missing by a very small margin I think.

That or I just suck with a lever bow. My only other complaint is that it is much heavier than my other rigs. Not too bad for short trips but 4+ hours holding that thing starts to drag on me a bit.

Any words of experience from you guys who made the switch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Common Carp
    If you dont like it get something different. Everything in this game is personal preference. I made the switch a few years back and had no complaints on my shot percentages.... never even thought about it.

BFC's Prankster
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSlayer View Post
    If you dont like it get something different. Everything in this game is personal preference. I made the switch a few years back and had no complaints on my shot percentages.... never even thought about it.
    SoDakSlayer, so you sucked before Oneida and stil suck after Oneida ??? but at least you look cooler shooting now.....

A bow is just a tool,like was said if you don't like it can always sell, our fishing buddy likes his Mission Craze's and has shot our oneidas but just prefers his bow.
    Last edited by garpwacker; 1 Week Ago at 09:17 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Clown Fish
    I know there have been other threads talking about needing to make changes to how you draw your bow. 3 under instead of 2 under 1 over. Could certainly give that a shot and make sure it is tuned to you. Put some arrows into a target and see how they fly.

Common Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by garpwacker View Post
    SoDakSlayer, so you sucked before Oneida and stil suck after Oneida ??? but at least you look cooler shooting now.....

A bow is just a tool,like was said if you don't like it can always sell, our fishing buddy likes his Mission Craze's and has shot our oneidas but just prefers his bow.
    Now, I said I had no complaints in my percentages... I didnt say they increased or decreased lol

What do you mean there's other bows besides oneidas. Lol

Hoopty's Special someone
    Quote Originally Posted by crfishhunter View Post
    What do you mean there's other bows besides oneidas. Lol
    don't be silly of course not ....

Redfish
    Maybe try a newer Oneida. HUGE difference between the older, heavier/longer styles and the newer versions like Osprey, BE, etc.

There's no way I could swing one of the older ones, but my Hawk fits like a glove and I'm surgical with it. Might be an option before ya totally give up on lever bows.

I shot a older Oneida with a muzzy fish hook for about 5 years. Was a decent shot, some nights being better then other nights. Last year I switched to a new osprey with a shelf rest. For the rest of the year I shot absolutely terrible. Most shots were 6 inches low no matter what size fish or how deep. This year I seem to be back on track. If you like the bow I'd say stick with it it'll come. But if you're not in love with it move on.
    Last edited by Brock2; 1 Week Ago at 11:39 AM.

Pond Scum
    I have shot an AMS Swampthing for the last couple years, and my buddy was always trying to get me to shoot his black eagle. He picked up an Aeroforce cheap and sold it to me for what he had in it. Put a muzzy kit on it and didn't look back, I was hooked and my hit percentage was the same or better. Two weeks later and I'm shooting an Osprey. It's smooth and shoots like a laser. Only problem I had with the Aeroforce was the weight, its a brick but it will make an excellent backup or loaner with lighter power limbs from American Eagle.

I'd look for a screaming eagle, way lighter than the aeroforce. As far as missing fish wit an oneida, I went from recurve to a compound and couldn't hit worth nothing with it, bought an oneida and it felt way more natural than shooting a compound, and I hit way more than I ever have now

Needle Nose Gar
    If the bow fits you should shoot as well as you did before.

I have an LFM that I bought here on bfc a few years back. It the same era as the aeroforce, but shorter limb to limb. Just as heavy. I switched from the recurve I had shot for years, and started shooting that oneida at the beginning of that season, call it March. It was almost exclusively night shooting for the first couple months, and it was just awesome. We had just gotten LEDs, so it was also the first night shooting I had done. It was so easy seeing the fish. Heck they just float there and can't see you. Deer in headlights. They were so close, compared to day shooting, and just got slaughtered. We were really stacking them up compared to day shooting the same waters - smaller fish, but lots of them. That first season with an oneida, I don't think I shot my recurve at all.

Over the next few seasons, I started shooting my recurve again, at times. The oneida was cool - IS cool - but it tended to get heavy under the hot sun. At some point I started to run into real problems hitting fish consistently. After I would shoot the recurve, trying to shoot the oneida would put my shots high. The shots from the oneida were very straight, perfect centershot so no wobble to arrow, but just not shooting where I was looking. Likewise, after shooting the oneida, my old recurve felt like a controlled crash on my left wrist. I never knew there was such a thing as handshock before I shot that heavy oneida and then my light recurve back to back. I tried changing a bunch of stuff, but nothing ever really worked well. The big problem I think is to hit well with the oneida I shoot 3 under and anchor high, and I just cannot do that comfortably while wearing polarized glasses during the day. If I shoot the oneida 1/2, anchor at the corner of the mouth, the arrow goes way high. I would still kill enough fish to satisfy the bloodlust, mind you, but each time it was a frustrating warm up with intermittent, unexplained misses afterwards.

Eventually, I completely stopped shooting the oneida during the day, and used it exclusively for night shooting. I'm still that way. At night I shoot the LFM - the shots are close, the weight doesn't bother me, and I shoot 3 under and look right down the arrow into the fish. During the day the shots are longer and varied, and I shoot my 45 lb wood and glass recurve, 1/2, and shoot it about the same as I always did. Which was always, "good enough for govt work".

Besides the weight and hand shock difference, I know the LFM I shoot has a very wide shelf, whereas my recurve is an old bear bow and has no centershot at all - the arrow flexes around the riser. Basically, the LFM has a lot of empty space there are the shelf. The oneidas over the years have varied with the shelfs and relief in the riser, so you (or I) may well shoot a screamer or a 500 series - or an osprey - better than an aeroforce or an LFM. I came up with an idea to maybe fix my problem with sight picture but never tried it. I figure if I could mount a shield of some sort on the back of the riser to visually remove that empty space, it would take away a lot of error margin between my eyes and brain. Maybe even lines/bands of different thicknesses or colors. It would sort of act like sights for vertical and the horizontal would tighten up as well due to less room. Instinctive shooting still, but with a lot less room to wander off.

Clown Fish
    Appreciate the feedback. Being a lefty, used Oneidas don't come up often for me to handle/try out. I'm always looking though. Or I could buy an Osprey for 700 and if it doesnt work out, then sell it for 900 lol

Redfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Stape View Post
    Appreciate the feedback. Being a lefty, used Oneidas don't come up often for me to handle/try out. I'm always looking though. Or I could buy an Osprey for 700 and if it doesnt work out, then sell it for 900 lol
    True story! Try one out-you will NOT lose money on it.

Redfish
    Yep best investment as far as bows are concerned

19. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

...advertisement