Minn kOta Maxxum 80 lb thrust - wire size & mounting?

...advertisement

Thread: Minn kOta Maxxum 80 lb thrust - wire size & mounting?

Minn kOta Maxxum 80 lb thrust - wire size & mounting?

What size wire shoiuld i run for my minn kota 80 lb thrust maxxum (57 amps) at 25 ft wire length? What type of wire? I am leaning towards 6 ga.

Also, there are 6 mounting holes in the base. My application requires me to only utilize the rear 4 mounts - is this acceptable or must you use all 6?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Bow.FishingCountry.com
    Advertisements

Electrocutioner
    6 guage marine duplex is the easiest wire to run. After using it once I won't even consider anything else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-2-A...item43a9182871

Combine that with Anderson connecters and you're done.
    Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 09-02-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Long Nose Gar
    I only have 4 bolts in mine, never had any problems.

I only have four in mine,but there are two in the front and two in the back,the front is where the torque is,so I dunno??

where do you get the anderson connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-p View Post
    where do you get the anderson connectors?
    they are all over E-Bay if you do use them make sure you have the connectors right...or you will very soon know!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Gator Gar
    I set the same troller just like OBG said... I'm running 15ft of 6ga wire from his link and anderson connectors... also I have mine bolted just using the back 4 since I have mine hanging off the bow a little... it has worked fine...

Thanks for the help guys. I tested the troller yesterday on a temp setup and it will pull my airboat up river with river flowing 2.5 mph so I am happy. I will get some pics and finish it this week. Thanks again

I have this plug on my boat, would it be smart to change to the Anderson connectors? If so why?

Gator Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    I have this plug on my boat, would it be smart to change to the Anderson connectors? If so why?

yes... the reason is these types of trolling motor connections seem to wiggle loose all the time and then short out and befor you know it they have a melt down... the Andersons snap togther tight and have larger contacts which let the power flow better... you can have a almost full 6ga wire system without any bottle necking and your batteries will last so much longer... I changed out all my 10ga wire on my troller this year and gained almost 2 more hours of run time...

Wow that is great info, thanks. I had my troller installed at a boat shop it had the original 43 lb MG on it (2000 Bass Tracker). They re-wired the boat for the new 24v MK Maxxum 70lb. They upgraded to 6 ga so I guess I only need to cut off the existing plug and wire in the Anderson's correct?

Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    Wow that is great info, thanks. I had my troller installed at a boat shop it had the original 43 lb MG on it (2000 Bass Tracker). They re-wired the boat for the new 24v MK Maxxum 70lb. They upgraded to 6 ga so I guess I only need to cut off the existing plug and wire in the Anderson's correct?
    Yes Mike,you might have to get creative with how you mount the "bottom",connect.I put in a diamond plate "plate",and stole Rob Laws idea from his converter box,using angle,to mount mine.Again make sure you get the contacts in right or you will have issues,if the connection is loose at all...you have them wrong

You bet,not sure how these other guys have theres....looks like Walt just brought his straight up

...advertisement